Brew Chicks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you have to have a smutty avatar to be a girl?? lmao!!!

well i hate to cook, dont enjoy baking...but i love to brew.. its work but i love the end result and im always so excited when i finally get to drink it..

however i am one of those women who absolutely LOVES beer! just made sense to brew my own!

lorenae said:
Yah der hey- youse guys know all da ways we talk up here doncha know. Fudgies are ok, but FIBs are a whole different story. Lotsa trolls now, hunting season is starting.

Lorena

That's it, that's more like it- now I KNOW you're a yooper!:D :mug:

The only proprieter I've ever seen at my LHBS is a woman. I've heard her mention her husband, but I don't think I've ever seen him. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.!

I bought my beginners set up a year ago to the week from the woman at the LHBS. One year down and many good times and beers down.
:off: Bad joke in three two one. Ya know why women have small feet? So they can stand closer to the kettle:ban: (don't tell my SWMBO I said that)

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
A nighbor iused to have paddockwoods HBS as his local. Said she's about 23 and left paddockwood to go get her degree in brewing. She's from Saskatchewan.

And very nice to talk to on the phone. I'll miss her. (sniff)

Well Brandi is still there.

brandi.jpg

Brandi Cadrain is our retail manager. Brandi will likely answer your phone calls and prepare your mail orders. She knows how to handle the messy SLGA paperwork for special beer orders, and will steer you through the dozen or more types of beer we usually have on hand (in case you are not sure what type of beer you would like).

No kidding. the one that I go to sometimes has a kid that is nicely named troll. helpful as anything, but I never thought of meeting any ladies at the LHBS. Saw one woman in my LHBS one time, but no lie- she was asking for directions.

lorenae said:
Veggiess is a girl, but you guys didn't notice because she doesn't have a smutty avatar like I do.

Lorena

Mmmmm, smut.
:cross:

the_bird said:
Cheesefood's had his share of smutty avatars, but I'm pretty sure he's a bloke...

Where's he been lately, anyway? He doesn't seem to be around all that much.

Was wondering that myself...
:(

My g/f likes to brew, but I've been a big influence in that area. She's brewed three partial mashes herself on her stovetop and is planning another one within the next 4-5 weeks. And she helps about half the time on my AG brew days.

We first met at a brewpub a little over a year ago, but that was strictly coincidence on her part. At that time, she was more of a wine drinker and Bud was her only beer of choice. Now, she can't stand the stuff. She'll go so far as to suggest alternate beers to others ordering a Bud at a brewpub/beer bar, trying to 'show them the error of their ways'!

These days, IPAs are her beer of choice. Most of our trips and/or evenings out are planned with some sort of 'beer theme' in mind, be it homebrew, a brewpub or a restaurant with a good selection.

God love her!:mug:

well as a matter of fact.. i brewed close to it.. a wonderful raspberry framboise..thank you very much! :) however it was a little closer to a beautiful red color

lorenae said:
Veggiess is a girl, but you guys didn't notice because she doesn't have a smutty avatar like I do.

Ah, so THAT'S what I'm doing wrong! (Note to self: find a smutty avatar). Actually, I tried not to make it overly obvious that I am a girl because of those looks that I get at my LHBS. I also get asked many times while I'm there, "Are you sure you don't need help?" because I am guessing they figure I must be there shopping for a gift for my man or something because I cannot possibly be the one brewing. My guy enjoys my beer but honestly has no interest in brewing himself, he hates being in the kitchen, and he usually prefers wine/scotch while I prefer beer.

BeerLuvnGrl- I am not a cooking-lover either, but I do enjoy making special/yummy homemade things, like breads, lasagnas, pretzels, pizza, etc... and homebrewing fits right in that category! :D It's always great making something that I really love, and when people try it, they say, "Wow! You made this?!"

Come to think of it...maybe a lot of the looks I get at the LHBS come from the fact that I always go there before/after work, and I'm in medical scrubs?? :D

veggiess said:
Come to think of it...maybe a lot of the looks I get at the LHBS come from the fact that I always go there before/after work, and I'm in medical scrubs?? :D

Maybe you should show up next time in a lab coat, hair a mess, with a crazed scientist look on your face mumbling something about quatum physics.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Maybe you should show up next time in a lab coat, hair a mess, with a crazed scientist look on your face mumbling something about quatum physics.

then they may leave you alone and let you shop!!

I'm a woman, too, but I haven't been posting much these past couple of months because real life's been killing me.

Anyway, I think there's a big difference between a) number of women who homebrew and b) number of women who homebrew and also belong to forums like this one. Every homebrewer I know in real life is a woman (except one cousin), but none of them are on a homebrewing forum.

dancingbarefoot said:
I'm a woman, too, but I haven't been posting much these past couple of months because real life's been killing me.

Anyway, I think there's a big difference between a) number of women who homebrew and b) number of women who homebrew and also belong to forums like this one. Every homebrewer I know in real life is a woman (except one cousin), but none of them are on a homebrewing forum.

Excellent point. There is a definite nerdiness factor involved in internet forums (forgive me my brethern and...um...sistern?) that guys seem to have, well, not quite a monopoly on, but close. So even if the avocation was not guy dominated, it might look like it on a forum.

Makes sense.

SteveM said:
Excellent point. There is a definite nerdiness factor involved in internet forums (forgive me my brethern and...um...sistern?) that guys seem to have, well, not quite a monopoly on, but close. So even if the avocation was not guy dominated, it might look like it on a forum.

Makes sense.

I actually prefer the word, Geek.... but okay...

My excellent live-in girlfriend is my brewing buddy/partner.She drinks more of it than i do(being a very cheap date,I'm fairly wrecked after 4 or 5 and she's still sober).We love beer and brewing beer and talking about beer.She's so busy taking care of my kids and I that she doesn't have(make) the spare time that i do to browse this forum and contribute.Here's to her,she's the best!!!

Pri.1-NB Dunkelweisen
Pri.2-NB Amer.Wheat
2nd.1-B3 Stout
Bottled-THB NutBrownAle
Bottled-THB YellowDogAle
Bottled-THB O'Fest
Bottled(near gone)-THB Trad.Wheat

dancingbarefoot said:

So you back down in Texas yet and if so did you manage to get that mead on in Alaska you talked about a few months back?

dancingbarefoot said:
That's definately true in the UK HBS shops I've visited, when I go to my LHBS it's probably a 60% male to 40% female mix (and both mostly older than my own youthful late twenties appearance *cough*)

My wife does make wine, and that's good enough for me. She's a grreat enabler!!! And she loves my Celebration Clone!!! It would be nice if I could get her to crank my Corona though.....

Caplan said:
So you back down in Texas yet and if so did you manage to get that mead on in Alaska you talked about a few months back?

Yeah, I'm back in Texas now but sadly, the mead never got brewed this summer in Alaska. Jury duty and a mild case of pneumonia kinda interfered. :mad:

I was actually at my LHBS shop this afternoon and was the only woman in there. I've tried to get friends (from the university) interested in homebrewing, but so far no one's taken me up on it. At departmental parties where I've brought my beer for others to drink, the guys tend to find it amusing that I brew it myself. They'll often humor me by tasting it but then go back to their Shiners. The women are more interested in how it's done, but so far not interested enough to do it themselves. :confused:

I was in my local bar last night and met a new coworker of my husband's. She is a brewer and lives about 5 blocks from me! We spent the evening drinking a pitcher and talking about brewing. She does mini-mashes, and would like to go all-grain someday. She just moved here from Washington state, and likes good beer. We're going to do a beer exchange soon. :ban:

Lorena

dancingbarefoot said:
Yeah, I'm back in Texas now but sadly, the mead never got brewed this summer in Alaska. Jury duty and a mild case of pneumonia kinda interfered. :mad:

I was actually at my LHBS shop this afternoon and was the only woman in there. I've tried to get friends (from the university) interested in homebrewing, but so far no one's taken me up on it. At departmental parties where I've brought my beer for others to drink, the guys tend to find it amusing that I brew it myself. They'll often humor me by tasting it but then go back to their Shiners. The women are more interested in how it's done, but so far not interested enough to do it themselves. :confused:
Bad luck with pneumonia - nasty stuff, the mead can wait....
I visited my LHBS this afternoon and I was the only one in the shop other than the owner - and he was annoyed i'd shown up near closing time!;)
It sounds like you're trying to convert people at your university to homebrew. That's a tough task that'll just dishearten you unless you're up for a full crusade - I'd suggest screw them and brew for your own satisfaction! :)

Caplan said:
It sounds like you're trying to convert people at your university to homebrew. That's a tough task that'll just dishearten you unless you're up for a full crusade - I'd suggest screw them and brew for your own satisfaction! :)

Nah, not really. It just comes up at departmental parties.

The funny thing is that since I posted earlier today, two of my friends have decided they need to help me brew. So tomorrow we're having a random beer-brewing, movie-watching, girly crafty-related pajama party (I think I'm way too old for pajama parties, but what the hell.). :p

You take pay pal?

and you realize how much trouble you 2 could get me into?

Lorenae is picking up chicks at bars and talking about brewing . . .
Dancingbarefoot is having the hot college sorority pajama party and brewing . . .

/cue cheep 70's/80's electronic music
Bow chicka wow wow

Dibs on being the pizza delivery boy:ban:

Pumbaa said:
Dancingbarefoot is having the hot college sorority pajama party and brewing . . .

Bow chicka wow wow

Ha! Not quite the erotic movie it sounded like. ;) But the brewing went well.

Pumbaa said:
You take pay pal?

and you realize how much trouble you 2 could get me into?

Lorenae is picking up chicks at bars and talking about brewing . . .

Bow chicka wow wow

Dibs on being the pizza delivery boy:ban:

Dibs on the electrician's service call!!!:ban: :ban: :ban:

Ok who's gonna be the Orkin Man????

Back