Subbing for Marris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molsonG

Reaction score
I want to brew the legendary Sister of the Sun of IPA, which specifically calls for MO as the base, which i dont have, and im not buying it. I have pilsner, 2-row, munich, vienna...

which combo/percentages do you suggest to get closest to marris otter? I ca also toast in the oven

Closest you could get would be either good UK 2 Row or Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise... I seem to recall another type of UK 2 Row claiming it was similar to MO, but I can't locate the info now...

To get MO, you need to use MO... Toasting other malts won't convert it to MO. Trying to combine other malts to get something close to MO could take you forever to get close.

What is the 2 Row you actually have on hand? If it's UK 2 Row, then just use that, knowing the brew won't come out as the recipe says. It could be damned close, but it won't be exact.

BTW, Farmhouse Brewing Supply has a 10# bag of Thomas Fawcett MO for $13.19...

would adding a few ounces of special roast to 2row give a similar flavor as MO?

Better off using some victory or biscuit malt... If you're using ~10# of base malt, about 4oz of victory/biscuit should do the job (I believe)... You could try a bit more, but I wouldn't go over 8oz...

Back