Oxygen above beer when transfering to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So I was thinking about infections, thank god I have yet to see one (5 batches).

So here is my question.

If your fermentation is done, and you transfer to secondary to clarify, there is oxygen left at the top of the carboy. Will this oxygen allow infection to grow?

If you were to somehow purge the oxygen out with Co2 or some other gas that mold will not grow in, would that prevent an infection, or just cover up something that needs to be seen?

The fermenting beer purges the oxygen off of the beer. Bacteria causes infections, not oxygen.

you could purge the top of the Secondary with Co2 ...If you wanted to, but as long as your being sanitary you have nothing at all to worry about...

Normally Having o2 above the beer is more of a concern for oxidation not infection.
Ive gone about 14-15 batches with no infection..just keep everything nice, clean, and sanitized

But a lot of mold types can not grow if there is no oxygen. Is most of the infections I see on here mold or something else?

But a lot of mold types can not grow if there is no oxygen. Is most of the infections I see on here mold or something else?

I don't really know. I think I have seen a total of 5 infections on this site and 3 of them were done on purpose. Be clean and sanitized and chances are you'll never see one.

Back