how big is hold that airlock fits in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I'd like to use a blow off tube for my primary fermentor, the regular ale pails. how big is the hole (with the grommet) that a standard airlock fits in. can I just find appropriate OD tubing and just shove it in there?

Yes to the last question and you'll have to measure the hole to the first. I have three buckets and they all had different size holes until I re-cut them and bought new corks.

Why is your primary going to be so full? Quit fighting the man and use an airlock :p

my primary buckets are just 6 gallons. i had my first explosion yesterday, (first time i've ever pitched onto a previous yeast cake.) so i want to prevent this.. i don't have any carboys that are 6 gals, so i use the bigger buckets.

When I changed to primary buckets from U.S. Plastics (their 7 gal. model), I drilled 1/2" holes in the lid with a wood (paddle) bit, and the grommets I bought from Midwest fit perfectly. That particular bit drills a nice, smooth hole.

Don't forget the tubing can be molded slightly after being soaked in hot water

I found that 5/16 ID tubing works well for my blow off in the hole of the bucket or the hole of a drilled bung.

Back