Bulk Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
I am new to all grain I have only done a couple bathes but i want to get some of the main grains in bulk, what would you suggest getting for grains to store in bulk?

I have an Inventory listing of what I keep on hand. I could post it if you want. But 2-row is the most used malt.

If I were to buy a 50lb bag of 2-row, can you list 5-6 other grains that would let me do a few different recipes without having to get any grains from the LHBS?

yeah a list would be great I hate driving to the store so I would like to have enough on hand to make several different brews

Passedpawn, can you explain a little more? Are all three base malts that I would want to make a variety of brews? For now, I was hoping to stick to one large bag of base malt and some specialties. In the future I would expand to cover a wider spectrum of brew styles.

Passedpawn, can you explain a little more? Are all three base malts that I would want to make a variety of brews? For now, I was hoping to stick to one large bag of base malt and some specialties. In the future I would expand to cover a wider spectrum of brew styles.

If you want to pick just one, grab the 2-row pale like everyone else said. Briess or Rahr or MaltEurop, any will do fine.

I use munich a lot. It adds a nice malty flavor to any beer that you want to have a malty flavor. You can go 100% for a malt-bomb bock beer, 50% for a lively octoberfest, or a smidgen for a fine ESB. I love the stuff.

Regarding the wheat malt, it is nice to add to any beer to boost head retention and body. I always slip a pound into beers with body (i.e., any stout except a dry stout). And, I love wheat beers in the summer. I can go through a bag just making german hefeweisens, american wheat, and a lively belgian wit.

I'm sitting here drinking a pilsner that is fan-freaking-tastic right now. 100% german pilsner malt and saaz (hoppy end of style). I've made pilsners from pale malt, but they just didn't stay quite as light and crisp. If you want a great pilsner beer, pilsner malt is the only way to go (BTW, if you put crystal in there, you might as well have used pale malt).

Cheeers!

Are you guys buying your bulk grains locally or online?

I'm lucky to have a regional supplier nearby that also has a storefront. They get "supersacks" or some other odd term that indicates a sack of 100's of pounds. Huge. They have a warehouse from which they distribute to breweries. And they have a very nice storefront with at least 100 different grains. I love the place.

Of course I could live up near one of the big malsters up north, but then I'd be in the frozen tundra. brrrr.

American 2-row, Continental Pills, British Pale ale, Munich, Six-row, Vienna, in that order. I also want numerous crystal malts, wheat malts and dark malts but not in 50-55 pound amounts.

Back