Muscadine wine help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowesnest

Reaction score
My bf and I are first time muscadine wine makers and have run into a problem. These are the steps we've completed:

- Crushed and pressed the muscadines
- transferred juice to primary fermenters and added the pulp/peels in mesh bags
- added the candom tablets
- after a couple day, added yeast packets and sugar
- transferred juice only to the secondary fermenter
- it was active for about a week and a half
- suddenly stopped
- now only reads 8%

What can we do? The alcohol level isn't high enough. Anything we can do?

Ok sorry haven't gotten back to you sooner, car shopping all day, blah!

Anyway, if your SG was 1.060, the most alcohol you could ever get would be about 8%. The only thing you can do at this point is to add something fermentable. More juice, sugar, honey, it's really up to you and what your trying to do. I realize 8% is pretty low for wine, but you might bottle it as a sparkling wine after it has properly aged and come out with something really nice. Adding carbonation will help it form having that watery taste that you might experience with a lower ABV wine.

More sugar would have to be added to get your SG up, in turn giving you a higher potential alcohol. If your not getting a high enough reading add more sugar and retest until you reach desired number. Do this prior to fermentation.

Back