Opinions on my recent bulk grain order???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alz28

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Wit and I ordered my grains and hops last night and my oranger peels tonight thanks to another HBT member that found me a sweet deal on a lb. of bitter orange peels from Northern Brew. I ordered 55 lbs. of Pilsen Malt (1.6- 1.8) and 55 lbs. of standard wheat malt (1.4- 1.8) I didnt order unmalted wheat just....... well just because. I have done this recipe with flaked wheat, torrified wheat, German wheat, "unmalted" wheat and domestic wheat. Not 100% sure if any of these wheats were malted I'm new to AG.I also got a lb. of East Kent Goldings and I washed my yeast from the last two brews. I have my cost down to right at $15.00 per 5 gal. batch including propane. I estimated my propane use at $6.00 per 10 gal. batch. Let me know if you fellas think my grain selection will make a great Wit.

I'm a big Wit fan and buy wheat by the sack also. Just 2-row and wheat malt will make a nice Blue moon type of beer with less wheat notes. Adding additional unmalted wheat like flaked or torrified will give you more of the wheat taste, like a hoegaarden. Just depends on your tastes. I like a lot of orange peel, and a little corriander & cumin. I just started experimenting with belgian aromatic malts but it's still conditioning. Get rice hulls if you're gonna use a lot of wheat.

OK cool. Its just that I dont have much experience with grain. When I go to one of the two HBS here in Houston they dont have the exact grains that my recipe calls for. So they tell me to use different grains. Well sure enough when I brew a recipe I like and go to buy the grains in bulk I cant find the exact grain. So I thought Id check with the experts here at HBT to see if I did OK on my grain purchase.

Latest posts

Back