Crabapples...Time to share those recipes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Something about crabapples always made me think of worms.The older I get the more I think theres got to be some good recipes for them....Time to share your recipes!

I'd experiment with them in cider: make a 100% crabapple cider anoter with 50% and a third with 10% and see how it tastes. You can always use the 100% crabapple cider for blending with some other cider. There are many different varieties of crabapples, so its really impossible to go beyond that.

Id like to make a non alcohol cider like the ones at the supermarket.Ive never made a cider before,any advise?

Go on you tube and check out the home made apple presses and grinders that people have made. I don't make cider until October because I like to use a blend of middle and late season apples for the best taste. But use what you have and experiment with it. Look around your area for apple trees in people's yards, you can usually scrounge apples for free if you look around. If you have any orchards in your area, tell them you are making your own cider and ask if they sell seconds, or offer to pick them up off the ground. A good blend is equal parts Jonagold/Jonathan/Mcintosh/Golden Delicious/York, but I usually end up using 10-15 varieties. If the apples are really hard, let them sit for 2-4 weeks (in a shady spot) to ripen up a little before pressing

Crabapples make awesome jelly, but I'd make cider, like this.

wickson.jpg

If you just want to make some fresh cider for home consumption I've heard of people using food processors, then squeezing the juice out with cheese cloth or a ricer.

I'm thinking about trying to pickle some crab apples, saw a recipe in the ball blue book for this, sounds interesting. Also adding some to my cider mix for hard stuff. Cheers!

Just freeze 'em & mash 'em. You might use this recipe for a guideline, just use less or no sugar for a cider.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=51010
You might look into borrowing/renting a press. Some towns even have a sort of "community press." I'd avoid doing the food processor thing without coring those crabapples, the interior of the seeds is toxic.
Regards, GF.

In my experience with a juicer it does work the problem that arises with my juicer at least is you end up with a thick foamy layer on top of the juice that you have to separate out. The first time I made cider I fermented it with the foam with no ill effects besides losing a gallon or so of carboy space. This year im going to try to separate the foam prefermentation with cheesecloth. Hopefully by next year I will have built a proper press.

My wife used to make crap apple jelly with'em, but I was just sitting here wondering how they'd be in apple butter?

I use a breville juicer, purchased off Craigs list to make cider. I just started brewing this fall and used this juicer to make more than 14 gallons so far. Next I will be juicing some pears.

I use a juicer appliance in my kitchen for making cider. It's a time-consuming PITA but it works. I used about 10% whole crabapples (among many other) a couple of years ago and I didn't die from drinking all that cider, so concerns about cyanide from the seeds are most likely paranoia more than anything else. I do make some pretty dang good cider if I do say so myself. Here's this year's project, showing 2 out of 3 gallon jugs of "regular" cider, as well as 3 gallons of mulberry cyser. I've experimented with yeast over many years and continue to do so this year with 1 gallon wild yeast, 1 gallon US-05, and the rest is all Cote des Blancs (my favorite).

P1150215.jpg

Back