Using leftovers..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I have this stuff in my freezer.. Does it look like I could put it all together to make a decent brew?

8# 2 Row pale
2.5# Maris Otter crisp
.5# chocolate malt
.5# roasted barley
.25# caramunich 1

1oz Cascade pellets
.5oz crystal pellets

Will this work together? If so, what style of beer would it make? Should I order more grain and/or hops to tweak it? I like stouts and dopplebocks, so if I can do something like that with this mix that would be great.. Thanks!

You could make an English Mild, but it would be with American hops:

3# 2 row
2.5# Marris Otter
.5# Chocolate Malt

.5 Cascade @ 60
.25 of both @ 15
.25 of both @ 5

Puts you around 3% ABV.

You could make an English Mild, but it would be with American hops:

3# 2 row
2.5# Marris Otter
.5# Chocolate Malt

.5 Cascade @ 60
.25 of both @ 15
.25 of both @ 5

Puts you around 3% ABV.

I guess what I'm actually asking is if I can use all of what I have together so I can use it up.. Does anyone think it would make a bad brew?

OK, so I plugged all of the above mentioned ingridients, plus a 1/4lb of lactose (which is also a leftover) into beer calculus @ 72% efficiency and it just falls under "sweet stout" style profile. I'm going to do it 5 gal. BIAB with a mash of 154F @ 60 mins, mashout at 168 for 10 mins, with a 60 min boil.. I'm going to ferment with safale S04. I guess this will be my first "self-designed" stout recipe. I hope it turns out good!

Back