Ordinary Bitter Ol' Bitter Bastard (2013 NHC Gold medal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've brewed this thing three different ways. I thought that I needed to increase the mash temperature because the beer was a little dry. Then I found out that my thermometer was -4 to -8 degrees off at mash temps for the first two variations (and who knows how long I've had this error... years???).

1st with 1469: Great stone fruit ester from yeast, very drinkable, might be the best beer I've brewed even though mash temps were 144 to 148.

2nd with 1968: Less fruit, but still a very drinkable beer. Nice malt backbone. Hops showed much more in this version (still with the low mash temps).

3rd with 1318 (and pushed gravity up to 1.045 into the special bitter category): Another great tasting beer. Nice malty sweetness, hey it's nice to have some long chained sugars around after fermentation!!! Really wished I'd have calibrated my thermometer correctly on the first two.

I learned a lot from these brews as I've never been to England or really had the opportunity to drink ordinary bitters. These types of beers are the ones that are missing when you go to the beer store.

Possibly the most important aspect of serving these beers is to keep the carbonation low. I had the gas hooked up too long on the 1968 and the beer turned sharp and lost the character when it was carbed like a normal american beer (this may have also been due to the meager malt backbone I had left in the beer after low mash temps).

The only question is what to do next with this!

Thanks again for the great recipe.:mug:

hodge, great post on your results, thank you! Do you happen to have your fermentation temperature and FG readings for these batches? I will second your recommendation on carbonation. I've yet to try it myself, but you might want to look into natural carbonation in the keg. Might be able to draw off by gravity.

Keep in mind that I had low mash temps for the first two (1469 and 1968) and both had a FG of 1.010.

The last one (1318) had a higher OG of 1.045 and FG of 1.014.

Ferm. temps:

1469: 68 F
1968: pitched 64, ramped to 68 until half FG then back down to 64 until finished, cold crash
1318: pitched 64, ramped to 68, crashed when finished.

I got a lot of great info from the huge English yeast thread on fermentation temps.

I forced carbed it for a few days, then just took the gas off and have been drawing off with gravity as you said. When the trickle out of the tap gets so slow that I want to stick a fork in my eye I just give the keg a little blast of CO2.:)

Here is my last glass!! Great brew. Family liked it just as much as I did. Rebrew time..

ForumRunner_20140108_182331.png

Well, I've brewed this thing three different ways. I thought that I needed to increase the mash temperature because the beer was a little dry. Then I found out that my thermometer was -4 to -8 degrees off at mash temps for the first two variations (and who knows how long I've had this error... years???).

1st with 1469: Great stone fruit ester from yeast, very drinkable, might be the best beer I've brewed even though mash temps were 144 to 148.

2nd with 1968: Less fruit, but still a very drinkable beer. Nice malt backbone. Hops showed much more in this version (still with the low mash temps).

3rd with 1318 (and pushed gravity up to 1.045 into the special bitter category): Another great tasting beer. Nice malty sweetness, hey it's nice to have some long chained sugars around after fermentation!!! Really wished I'd have calibrated my thermometer correctly on the first two.

I learned a lot from these brews as I've never been to England or really had the opportunity to drink ordinary bitters. These types of beers are the ones that are missing when you go to the beer store.

Possibly the most important aspect of serving these beers is to keep the carbonation low. I had the gas hooked up too long on the 1968 and the beer turned sharp and lost the character when it was carbed like a normal american beer (this may have also been due to the meager malt backbone I had left in the beer after low mash temps).

The only question is what to do next with this!

Thanks again for the great recipe.:mug:

Wow, thanks for the experimenting and superb feedback! Always cool to read how tweaks make such differences in a brew. I had never used another yeast with this beer. It's especially enlightening to read your comments about using 1968 (along with mash temps) and the resulting hop character coming through more. Even though my bitterness levels are at the top of the style, I often get dinged on this beer for not being "bitter enough." At first I figured it was just the judge not being familiar enough with the style. Then I started getting some similar comments from very high-ranked judges. It now occurs to me that the combination of my mash temp along with using 1469 and the low-alpha US Goldings may mask some of the bitterness judges look for, right or wrong, in competition. That said, I doubt I'll tweak it since, you know, it won gold and all. ;) But it is VERY helpful for future recipes. Thank you again for sharing! :mug:

Thanks for the recipe.
I brewed this the other day as my first all grain brew, unfortunately I had to sub UK Goldings and use Safale S-04 since my LHBS did not have the 1469.
I was really pleased with how everything went, I hit the OG exactly.
It is happily bubbling away in the fermenter now.

Everything was great until I realized today I never checked to see what the AA was for my UK Goldings:eek:...dug a package out and found out they are 7.25%! So plugging that into the recipe in Beersmith I come up with 44 IBU. Hopefully its drinkable.

Bottled mine a couple days ago. Sample was awesome even uncarbonated and at room temp. Now just trying to have patience while it carbonates.

Been drinking my batch for about a week now, it's one of the best beers I've had in a long time. It's a little dry on the finish, I'm guessing this is due to using S-04 yeast. Already planning on brewing this again with the 1469 next time.
Thanks again for the awesome recipe!

Just finished mine up, hit 5.75G @ 1.039 so feeling pretty good about that since i'll lose probably half a gallon to all the hops and yeast.

I ended up making a 1.5L starter with my 1469 just to be safe because its over 3 months old and the calculators say its only like 40% viable.

Brewing this today for the OC Fair competition, my LHBS didn't have the yeast so I picked up an English Dry, then had to go crystal 75 instead of 85. SHo7uold be fairly close

I'm also brewing this today with a few mods. LHBS didn't have US Goldings so I'm using EKG, and I'm using crystal 10 and 80 to get to the same SRM. Also, I'm repitching some London Ale yeast I've been using for my bitters.

Hmmm...come to think about it maybe it's a completely different recipe. Well, it started as this recipe anyway, and I'm really looking forward to tasting this. This has quickly become pretty close to my favorite style (top 3 at least) and I've been using something pretty close to Jamil Z's recipe, but I'm excited to try something a little different.

Haha John. I got the same thing going for mine. L10 and L80. They didn't have US goldings either. But subed for whitbread goldings because I like the name. Good luck with yours.

It's the same recipe, except for the different grain bill, different hops, and a different yeast. :)

Also, I just realized that I won't have enough Goldings for flameout (the recipe calls for 2.3oz total and my shop sells in 2oz bags and I've already got too many leftover hops). So, maybe not quite the same recipe.

I just brewed this beer last weekend, the only difference is I have only white labs here. I used wlp013 London ale yeast. This is the first time brewing this style and I was wondering the fermentation time on this beer. I hit near 100% efficiency at 1.051or my lhbs was heavy handed.

So drinking this beer now and like it quite a bit. However with the added gravity and high water ph it's not too bitter, in fact it's almost non existent.

Bottling this one tomorrow.
Sat two weeks in the FV with 1469 I collected after a Black Sheep Riggwelter clone.
Sample was tasty!

EDIT: Bottled today 1-9-16
OG - 1.038
FG - 1.011
3.76% abv
Sample during bottling was fantastic

Looking to brew this up soon. Generally my LHBS carries Whitelabs yeast, along with S-04 and Nottingham. Any specific recommendation from the crowd on which way to go there? Was thinking WLP-002 but wondering about real world experience with this recipe. Such a lighter style I want to get it right.

Looking to brew this up soon. Generally my LHBS carries Whitelabs yeast, along with S-04 and Nottingham. Any specific recommendation from the crowd on which way to go there? Was thinking WLP-002 but wondering about real world experience with this recipe. Such a lighter style I want to get it right.

In my experience, there is really no replacement for WY 1469. That said, if your LHBS carries White Labs, it is that time of year where they may have WLP037 Yorkshire Square in stock. I have never used it but I assume it is similar to 1469 and hear it is essentially Sam Smith's yeast. I have next to zero experience with White Labs, so I can't really comment on 002 but it's worth a shot. I have used S04 for an IPA before but that's about it. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

In my experience, there is really no replacement for WY 1469. That said, if your LHBS carries White Labs, it is that time of year where they may have WLP037 Yorkshire Square in stock. I have never used it but I assume it is similar to 1469 and hear it is essentially Sam Smith's yeast. I have next to zero experience with White Labs, so I can't really comment on 002 but it's worth a shot. I have used S04 for an IPA before but that's about it. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Thanks PattyC, I'll give them a ring about 037 - much appreciated!

Morebeer had it (1469) so I skipped the LHBS for this one. Looking forward to brewing in about 2 weeks!

Awesome. Just absolutely awesome. I was looking for a "normal" everyday beer. Something that was away from the American hops. Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of this style- but this recipe was just perfect. I admit I tweaked it slightly- increased OG to 1.046, used British crystal equivalents, decreased crystal an oz or 2 and increased that with more biscuit.
This is an excellent quaffable damn tasty beer. Nothing sexy- just plain solid. Not too sweet, not too biscuit, not too bitter. Just damn near perfect on every facet. Carb'd this around 2.3-2.4 volumes and u have an easy nice beer.

When you just want to get away from the citrus, grapefruit, tropical, pine or resin American styles or roast sweet over the top flavors of stoats and just want a solid great easy pint- this recipe is flat out awesome. Kudos to the man who posted it. I am indebted.

Awesome. Just absolutely awesome. I was looking for a "normal" everyday beer. Something that was away from the American hops. Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of this style- but this recipe was just perfect. I admit I tweaked it slightly- increased OG to 1.046, used British crystal equivalents, decreased crystal an oz or 2 and increased that with more biscuit.
This is an excellent quaffable damn tasty beer. Nothing sexy- just plain solid. Not too sweet, not too biscuit, not too bitter. Just damn near perfect on every facet. Carb'd this around 2.3-2.4 volumes and u have an easy nice beer.

When you just want to get away from the citrus, grapefruit, tropical, pine or resin American styles or roast sweet over the top flavors of stoats and just want a solid great easy pint- this recipe is flat out awesome. Kudos to the man who posted it. I am indebted.

Thank you for that flattering feedback! Really happy to hear you are enjoying it. Cheers!:mug:

Been wanting to brew this for a while. I adjusted the recipe quite a bit to use what I have on hand, but tomorrow I'll be brewing something like this. I'm excited.

Been wanting to brew this for a while. I adjusted the recipe quite a bit to use what I have on hand, but tomorrow I'll be brewing something like this. I'm excited.

Nice, I'm brewing this tomorrow as well.:mug: Should be fun!

Might have to move this to a warmer spot. Closet its sharing with a Denny's Favorite 50 (mad airlock activity) is about 62 F tops. No action in 1469s airlock atm, almost 24 hrs later.

*Edit - check that - we have activity. Although temp check shows 59-60 in there, may still move to slightly warmer spot.

Pretty sure I'm at FG at day 7 at 1.010. Will leave at current spot (67 F) for another week or so. Hydro sample was excellent! Flavor was malt-forward and Wyeast's site was right on with the "moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters". Now I get why this particular yeast is a critical part of this brew. Awesome.

First tasting today and I have no head retention. I carb'd to 2.2 and bottle conditioned for 3 1/2 weeks, its well carbonated but no head. Is this standard with this recipe or did something go wrong?

Edit - more to add.

Also, I used an English ale yeast from white labs and there is a slight tang to the taste that I'm not a fan of. Any suggestions? Would aging it a few more weeks even the tang out?

I'm thinking of adding a tiny bit of oak to this. What do you all think?

I have the Black Swan barrel alternative things, and a series of beers that I think it would work in. My thought it to toss it into this beer for just 2 or 3 days, then I'd move it on to other beers (an oat wine, an old ale w/ brett, and then a dark sour).

I'm just wondering if 2-3 days would be a good amount of time for this beer. I bumped the OG of mine up just a little bit, but it's still relatively low gravity. So, I obviously don't want to overwhelm it with oak character. I could possibly go with the oat wine first, then my Bitter Bastard rendition, before moving to the wild/sour beers.

Has anybody else used oak in this?

First tasting today and I have no head retention. I carb'd to 2.2 and bottle conditioned for 3 1/2 weeks, its well carbonated but no head. Is this standard with this recipe or did something go wrong?

Edit - more to add.

Also, I used an English ale yeast from white labs and there is a slight tang to the taste that I'm not a fan of. Any suggestions? Would aging it a few more weeks even the tang out?

When I carb that low I have to pour aggressively to get a head to form. I'm sometimes pouring from 6 inches above the glass

When I carb that low I have to pour aggressively to get a head to form. I'm sometimes pouring from 6 inches above the glass

Can never quite seem to get the carbonation right on a consistent basis. Last few were in the lower range due to a calculation error and not understanding temps before priming. Had a couple bombs and some that would hit the ceiling if you weren't careful cracking the bottle. :mad:

Finally moving to kegging so should be able to adjust up or down depending on my liking a lot more easily. :mug:

Couldn't have said it better myself! Love it. No finings or cold crashing so some chill haze there - like I care:p

OlBitterBastard.jpg

OK, so I kind of masssacred this recipe because of the ingredients I had available, but I feel like the core of the recipe was still there. Mine is slightly higher ABV. Not quite ESB level, but definitely above the standard bitter level. I think it is right in what I used to think was the useless category of Best Bitter. Also, I used all UK Pilgrim hops, as I had gotten a pound of them for free when I placed my bulk hop order back last Thanksgiving (or was it Christmas?). And I love the 1469 yeast, but I got some of the 1882 Thames Valley II yeast when it was available and used that.

Anyway, I just cracked open my first bottle after precisely 2 weeks carbonation time.

This is such a perfect beer.

It's like my over-romanticized memory of a perfect pint of Bass Ale, when I was first getting into tasty beers. Only this is definitely better than the Bass actually was.

Very British all around and super well-balanced.

I'll definitely be brewing this again.

used this as a start to make a bitter, as many of the ingredients weren't there.

here's my recipe, tasting will be in about a month :D

Grains:
Marris otter pale malt 3 kg
Cara pale 10 300 g
Crystal 100 200 g
Bisquit malt 150 g

Hops
tettnanger 3.8 alpha 20 grams @ first wort
tettnanger 3.8 alpha 25 grams @ 60 minutes
tettnanger 3.8 alpha 15 grams @ 20 minutes
tettnanger 3.8 alpha 10 grams @ 0 minutes
Cascade 4.8 alpha 20 grams @ 0 minutes