One Gallon Batch Hydrometer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinmonkeybs

Reaction score
I just attempted my first two gallons of mead. I used the JAO recipe as it appeared simple enough for my first attempt. My question is, when I tried to take a reading after mixing the initial ingredients my hydrometer floated out of range. Is this because the 3.5 pounds of honey made the mixture so thick?

I just attempted my first two gallons of mead. I used the JAO recipe as it appeared simple enough for my first attempt. My question is, when I tried to take a reading after mixing the initial ingredients my hydrometer floated out of range. Is this because the 3.5 pounds of honey made the mixture so thick?
JAO is a little unconventional. Given the ingredients and method. 3.5lb of honey in the gallon (irrespective of US or Imperial) would give a high reading whatever (and that doesn't include the sugars in the fruit).

If you'd tested after shaking.the bejesus put if it, then a high, yet false, reading, isn't surprising. Also, what's the highest limit of your hydrometer ?

Yes, I did take the reading after swirling the mixture for an extended period. I believe the upper level of the hydrometer is 1.15 if I am reading it correctly.

Yes, I did take the reading after swirling the mixture for an extended period. I believe the upper level of the hydrometer is 1.15 if I am reading it correctly.
Sounds like you may have got a false high reading from that then. My hydrometer also tops out at 1.150, though I've seen both wider and narrower ranges. Wider range ones tending less accuracy, and narrower offering greater accuracy.

Personally, with JAO, I just weigh out the ingredients and follow the method. I'm not fused about measuring gravity. Yet if you feel the need, take a sample of the must and measure it in a test jar. But if you've already mixed/shaken the batch, then let it settle (cover the top with cling wrap) before measuring. The bubbles can cause a mis-reading....

Latest posts

Back