Water Kefir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigErn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So there was a little talk at work about Water Kefir and its Heath benifits. I had no clue what Kefir was so I looked it up... apparently its just sugar water fermented with a type of bacteria. I also googled its heath benifits and found a snip that it helped with AIDS and Scoriasis.

I think I smell cheap scam... cheap bacteria water scam.

Has anyone else tried this?

I think we were overdue for an off-topic beer discussion anyways ;-)

On another note, I love Kefir. I hear it isn't that hard to make yourself, but I typically pick mine up from either a local market or Trader Joe's. The stuff is great for your stomach, pretty healthy nutrition-wise, and goes great in smoothies.

It was just funny listending to a couple of my co workers rave about this stuff. Someone even mentioned Milk kefir... isnt that just curdled milk?

Sounds like a cure for mad cow disease to me :-D

It was just funny listending to a couple of my co workers rave about this stuff. Someone even mentioned Milk kefir... isnt that just curdled milk?

Sounds like a cure for mad cow disease to me :-D

Milk kefir is what you can typically buy. It's filled with all sorts of healthy bacteria for the tummy :fro:

Curdled Milk = cottage cheese. Also another extremely healthy milk product. :D

Kefir tastes like butt. Not that I would know but...whatever. It doesn't taste too great, but it's supposed to have great health benefits. Live cultures and all. If that's what you're going for, I'd stick with some funky homebrewed kombucha.

Excuse me Shooter, but it's a real disease called CAIDS. Yeah, it's on wikipedia, so it's real. Haha!

I have actually been drinking a bit of kefir lately that I bought at Trader Joe's. It's pretty good, sort of like thin greek yogurt. I, however, cannot bring myself to drink kombucha again.

Hey if anybody on here is really interested in water kefir, I've been making it for about five years. I make it with fruit juice or herbal tea (nettle, horsetail, bee balm, wild oregano, linden, etc.). It tastes good.

If you want it to taste like butt, maybe you ought to try soaking your dirty drawers in the water before you use it ;-)

Milk kefir is what you can typically buy. It's filled with all sorts of healthy bacteria for the tummy :fro:

Curdled Milk = cottage cheese. Also another extremely healthy milk product. :D
Actually, what you can buy is a laboratory version of milk kefir. Real milk kefir is made via a mix of bacterias, yeasts and whatnots. It's a bit like the real kombucha and the lab version they sell as "healthy" drinks. Milk kefir also has something like a scooby.

Water kefir is actually quite similar to kombucha, the scooby just looks different and there's no tea involved but raw cane sugar and fruits.

I made all of it and really liked the milk kefir. You cannot buy this stuff, you have to make it yourself. It's nice.

Back