Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimayLover

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just made my first batch of brew the other day, using 2 cans of coopers amber malt and assorted hops that came with my kit...My beer is fermenting now, but I am mildly concerned...After about a 1/2 day of vigorous fermentation evidenced by the water in my airlock bubbling,the bubbles suddenly stopped...I havent noticed any bubbling in the airlock for about 12 hours, and I am wondering if maybe I made a mistake...I used 2 packets of the kit ale yeast (added them first to warm water) and then added them to the wort. Can I expect the airlock to start bubbling again? Is this normal?
Thanks!
MIke

You might want to check and make sure everything is tight, the lid stoppers make sure you dont have any leaks

Sounds normal to me. I have seen vigorous ferments that have all but completed in 24-48 hours. Just leave it and don't open the fermenter for at least a week if you're going to secondary it - it's probably fine.

I pitched yeast Saturday night and it went crazy all day Sunday bubbling like mad, but it's doing practically nothing now. Most likely it's done pretty much all it can do and it's straining to get those last one or two gravity points. The yeast is still active, but the process has slowed considerably.

It is odd for it to completely stop. A week later you might only be getting a bubble every 10 minutes, but you should have something. If you got a good krausen and the airlock has gotten up to a bubble per second or so, then it's possible the beer is done.

It's also possible you shocked the yeast with a temp change.

You can always take a gravity reading to find out what's going on. Usually it's better to wait, but if you think you might have a stuck fermentation, then as long as you santize well, there's no harm in it...

i had bubbles stop way too soon once
i swirled the fermenter
moved it to a warmer location
nothing
turned out the vodka in the airlock had evaporated enough that the co2 was escaping without making bubbles.

Hi Guys,

Still no bubbles, they altogether stopped after about 10 hours. Should I try adding in some yeast? I think something is happening because the top of my fermenter lid is swelling out, and if i press very lightly bubbles come out of the airlock...I dont think I have a leak, should I add 1 more packet of yeast?

RDWHAHB! Sounds like your going to be ok. Might check to make sure your airlock isnt clogged up. I would crack it open and have a smell. Just peel a corner of your lid up and have a look. Does it smell like beer? Is there foam on the top of the beer? If so put your lid back on and rack to a secondary in a week. :)

Just opened the lid and took a sniff...it smelled like beer (very alcoholic beer, my eyebrows got singed!) I will rack it this weekend I believe... However, there was a layer of gunk at the top, is this normal? There were no weird smells tho, just strong beer smell.
Thanks!

The layer of gunk is supposed to be there and will fall to the bottom most likely. If not, just don't rack it.

yup sounds like your making beer! the gunk on top is normal and like stuff said normally it will fall to the bottom. As a rule of thumb just leave your beer in the primary for a week and you should be good to go!

Cheers,

Back