good mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I started a mead one evening with no recipe just experimenting
in a 1 gal batch I used 2kg of clover honey yes that's 4.40924 pounds in a gallon (I don't know what the heck I was thinking.
then I got a bag of frozen wild blueberry from wal-mart (not sure how much was in the bag)
I thawed the berries and ran them threw my juicer (about 4 or 5 oz's)
dumped that in then topped it up with water added yeast nutrient and energizer and about 1/4 tsp of EC 1118 (I know what is this guy making)
so I took a hydrometer reading (you guessed it) my hydrometer only goes up to 1.150 so my SG was around the top of the glass tube just below the scale paper (yes the clear part of the glass.
for three weeks I watched bits of berry whip around in the carboy like one of them little tornadoes in a bottle
it finally slowed down so I racked it tonight and took a reading
right now it's at 1.070
I put some in my vinometer and it says it's around 16 ABV
so I'm wondering if anyone can figure roughly what my SG was
I would also like to know what ABV can EC-1118 go up to
on a good note I thought it was going to be super sweet but it is not near what I expected the sample was very good
although I felt like a wimp because I got a buzz from a 6oz drink
I can't wait until this stuff is ready

According to Jack Keller:

Lalvin EC-1118 (Prise de Mousse) : This is the original, steady, low foamer, excellent for barrel fermentation or for working on heavy suspended pulps. It is one of the most popular wine yeasts in the world. It ferments well at low temperatures, flocculates well, and produces very compact lees. It is good for Champagne bases, secondary (bottle) fermentations, restarting stuck fermentations, and for late harvest grapes. It is also the yeast of choice for apple, crabapple, cranberry, hawthorn, and cherry wines. It has excellent organoleptic properties and should be in every vinter's refrigerator. Alcohol toxicity is 18% and it ferments relatively fast. It tolerates temperatures from 39-95° F. It is not, however, tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation.

I've gotten it up to 18.75% in a cyser though. Regards, GF.

nice so this stuff is probably up there then
I thought my vinometer was off by8 or 9%

With a FG of 1.07 and an alcohol content of 16% I'd say your SG was about 1.19 sounds like a delicious mead. Mind if I snag your recipe and post it on my mead site?

it would be an honor if you posted it on your site.
but that's not the FG that's what it was at last night when I racked it to the secondary after 3 weeks it's still bubbling away, when it clears I'll check the FG and post it on here if I remember.
it is definitely a recipe that should be shared
can you title it robs blueberry mead

well the bubbling slowed down and there was a lot of sediment on the bottom so I racked it again today the gravity is down to 1.064
I'll check it again in a couple of weeks
it should be close to finished
I have no clue what aging will do (or if it will be around long enough to age)
but it is damn good right now

Back