What should I brew on top of an Irish Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscade

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed Jamil & John Palmer's Irish Red Ale recipe from Brewing Classic Styles pg. 129.

Brew went cleanly and I have a very happy family of WLP004 chewing away on it. I'm planning to let this ferment in primary for two weeks, and I'd like to brew another beer to rack onto the cake at that time. I've never done this before, and I know it's important to stick to a similar style.

I don't really want to brew a second batch of the Irish Red Ale, so I'm looking for suggestions on what I can brew to re-use the cake? I'm not seeing any other recipes in the book that use 004.

I'm assuming I can just rack off the finished beer, taste to confirm nothing bad happened, and run the new wort right into the fermenter.

Whaddya say, got ideas?

If it makes any difference, I'm still monkeying with my all grain system, and my efficiency was way higher than expected, so this yeast is working through a 1.065 wort.

The yeast might be tired after that.

I would go with a pale ale, and if the dregs give it a little color and flavor, it will be on a fairly clean palate, and should mix OK.

Dry Stout is the obvious choice.

If it were me, I'd rather have a nice English brown or something. But hey I'm not a stout kinda guy.

Latest posts

Back