Storing cracked grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmetal

Reaction score
I am getting into AG (just built a MLT and have a pot on the way to replace my 20qt) and I don't have a mill nor the place to store grains for more than maybe 2-3 batches. so getting 55 lb bags of grains is out of the question right now (maybe in the future)

my question is: if I buy grains for 2-3 batches online and get them cracked, how long and how do I store them before they are rendered crappy and useless?

I am getting into AG (just built a MLT and have a pot on the way to replace my 20qt) and I don't have a mill nor the place to store grains for more than maybe 2-3 batches. so getting 55 lb bags of grains is out of the question right now (maybe in the future)

my question is: if I buy grains for 2-3 batches online and get them cracked, how long and how do I store them before they are rendered crappy and useless?

Sooner the better, for taste and efficiency, but I would still use cracked grain that I have stored for up to a month.

I have kept mine in freezer bags with the air removed and frozen for several months and did not notice any difference, even smells freash. I still have more that will be there for another couple months.

So let me ask this question in line with the post. What happens to grain after 1 month? I picked 1 month since many answer that, some say 2 weeks tops.

I have kept mine in freezer bags with the air removed and frozen for several months and did not notice any difference, even smells freash. I still have more that will be there for another couple months.

So let me ask this question in line with the post. What happens to grain after 1 month? I picked 1 month since many answer that, some say 2 weeks tops.

I'll let the brew wizard answer for me:
http://***********/stories/wizard/a...-what-is-the-best-way-to-store-crushed-grains

I'll let the brew wizard answer for me:
http://***********/stories/wizard/a...-what-is-the-best-way-to-store-crushed-grains

Ok, he said up to a year but ASAP is the rule with most perishable food items so I understand that, unless you are aging beef or something. I like the idea of a freezer (must be vacuum sealed) because it pretty much solves the bug issue, some which can come (after malting) in the form of eggs and hatch later. Keeping it dry is the rule with any food too so I understand that as well. So, I don't really see much change after 2-4 weeks to be that worried about so long as you store properly.

Ok, he said up to a year but ASAP is the rule with most perishable food items so I understand that, unless you are aging beef or something. I like the idea of a freezer (must be vacuum sealed) because it pretty much solves the bug issue, some which can come (after malting) in the form of eggs and hatch later. Keeping it dry is the rule with any food too so I understand that as well. So, I don't really see much change after 2-4 weeks to be that worried about so long as you store properly.

Vacuum-sealed and frozen is a whole nother ballgame. I think they would be good pretty much indefinitely that way.

how about vacuum sealed and stored at 40F?

I the link above says up to a year kept dry and sealed I would think about that long.

I brewed 2 batches last saturday trying to free up freezer room downstairs trying to store the summer/fall harvest from the garden. I have also removed them from the freezer up to 2 weeks afterward and no issues. My biggest concern now though is mice once out of the freezer. We get mice in the house this time of year so I don't keep them in the basement and in a high place but even then I don't want to let them sit undisturbed too long as eventually they will seek them out.

how about vacuum sealed and stored at 40F?

I would say they will last long enough that you won't have to worry. Once you get your system going and the grains rapidly disappear, you will wonder why you ever thought long term storage was a problem! ;)

I've used crushed malt stored in a sealable bucket after 2-3 months and everything tastes fine. Even smelled great still. Keep it in a nice cool area, fridge is best.

I would assume a vaccuum sealed container would be ideal if you are that worried. I wouldn't push a year but a few months will be fine.

Back