NB houblonmonstre tripel ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I'm brewing Northern Brewer's Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA in a couple weeks. I have no experience with Tripel's, but I'm an IPA fan and my bro in law wanted to try this one out, so I say what the heck. From what I've been reading people tend to start out low and amp the temp up on tripels. Should I do this with this one since it is a hybrid? I just ordered a temp control for my mini fridge, so I can if it's recommended. If anyone has used this kit, let me know what you did and how yours turned out for you.
Thanks

I cant offer an answer, but the instructions that come with the kit may say.

I know midwest has on their website the directions for how to brew each kit in a pdf for download, but looking at NB I dont see it

Good luck, let us know how it is! Has great reviews

Edit: just read all the reviews, I want to try this one at some point I think! I like IPAs (new convert) and this has me itchin to try haha

Gotcha -- didnt even see that! Just looked it through, they probably say 65-82 is because thats the optimum temp range for that strain of yeast. I looked up Wyeast 3522 on their site and it says the same thing

At certain temps you'll get certain characteristics from the yeast, I'm assuming. As for what those are, I'm not sure. You can probably set it in any temp in that range and forget it, and be fine.

Theres a chance I'm completely wrong, but based on what I've read on the instructions and yeast page, that should be close to true :)

So here's the problem. Most yeast strains are alcohol intollerant. So as your beer attenuates, it inhibits the yeast from doing their job. Bumping the temperature a bit towards the end of attenuation will help the yeast finish the beer out. The 2 pounds of corn sugar in the recipe is going to attenuate pretty quickly. That kind of sugar will impart a hot-alcohol kind of flavor if you ferment it too warm. This is mainly why you want to start off at the lower end of the temp range. That said, the Belgian yeast strains, add some pretty interesting flavors at higher temperatures. Mainly spice and fruit-like flavors.

Personally, I would ferment this starting at 68F for a week and then bump the temp 1 degree per day for the following week. Leave it at 75F until fermentation completes and then rack to bottles or keg.

I'm a little interested in the fact that there are no dry hops for this IPA. In fact, the entire recipe seems a little hop-light to me. Plugging the recipe into beersmith, I get around 65 IBU which is on the low side for a double IPA. Perhaps the recipe intends to feature the yeast more than I considered?

Thanks jester that's exactly what I needed to know. Yeah I have only 4 brews under my belt so I haven't really started tweaking recipes yet. I brewed a IIPA last batch that had a lb. of hops that turned out amazing, but hopefully this one turns out well.

Latest posts

Back