Reusing beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I put a lot of time and money into every batch of beer I make. I see no reason to jeapordize the finished product by taking a short-cut.

Talk your friends into trying some Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada or even the Costco brand ale sampler packs. They all have good bottles for brewing. (Stay away from New Belgium's beers- cheapo bottles) The Costco beers are a great way to get started. A case of empties cost 12 bucks, so why not get a case full of beer + good bottles and a case for storage if it only costs $17? Then just tell SWMBO that you're buying beer not supplies for your hobby.

I completely agree with this.
on a side note the costco beer boxes are the best for storage of empties and storage of full beers getting carbed up. full case, strong box, and a divider that stays in place.

dont' sweat the small stuff.

Many types of bottles are suitable IF they originally contained carbonated beverage. These types have worked for me:
  • Plastic soda bottles of any size
  • -- Leave the label on and you can take your brew to the public park. Just a thought.
  • Twist-off bottles (requires attention to set the cap, but work just fine)
  • Malta Goya bottles for "pony" size homebrew. :)

And I have successfully used Malta Goya for yeast starter, even though they have a little preservative. So there.

Oh I have about 20 1L PET Mr Beer bottles I got from my cousin who stopped brewing. I just want to get into glass and not have to always drink one liter of beer if I open one...

Oh I have about 20 1L PET Mr Beer bottles I got from my cousin who stopped brewing. I just want to get into glass and not have to always drink one liter of beer if I open one...

Understood. I also disliked the large Mr. Beer bottles for the same reason. Unfortunately a 20oz soda bottle is now the smallest and that is about the size of a bomber. (Yes, one can get the 10 and 12 oz bottles for a premium)

Someone mentioned Aldi markets has spiced cider in brown flip-tops for $2. search this week and you will find the ad.

I used Grolch and soda bottles until I got a clean, old, bench capper from epay. It took a month or so for an old one to come up at a reasonable price ($15 to $30 or whatever your budget)

I got the Wernesgruner pils pop tops at aldies for like $6.99 a 6'r. Cool shield on the neck surounded by hop bines,brown glass too. Interesting that they've been brewing since 1436!

Latest posts

Back