Why do my wet Cascade hops smell and taste like.....dill pickles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeintoledo

Reaction score
I received a pound of wet Cascade hops that someone grew, and was delighted to start crafting an all-cascade IPA with the help of some dry additions for FWH, so that the wet hops could be showcased as aroma and flavor hops.

The guy also gave me a bottle of Pale Ale he brewed with it, and when I got home and tasted it, it tasted like dill pickles were soaking in my beer. it was almost unbearable.

On brewday, today, I opened the bag and found the same aroma.

What do you think would cause this? if these were grown in an herb garden next to dill, maybe I could see a little cross-pollination going on, but would that impart such a strong dill flavor in the hops?

No idea, but I will say that I've had the HARDEST time getting the pickle aroma and taste out of glass jars. I wash and wash the jars and the pickle smell is still there.

So, is there a chance the guy who gave you the hops was storing them in one of the giant pickle jars?

Time to make a pickled porter:D

That sucks.......if the beer he brewed with them tastes like pickles then most likely yours will too, I'd call the dude and let him know and ask what's up with that

Nope, no pickle jars were used. I understand they were picked, packed and stored in freezer bags.
No idea, but I will say that I've had the HARDEST time getting the pickle aroma and taste out of glass jars. I wash and wash the jars and the pickle smell is still there.

So, is there a chance the guy who gave you the hops was storing them in one of the giant pickle jars?

Back