• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: SS Ball Valves, Refractometer, Sight Glass, and Water Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
Hey HBTers:

Putting the finishing touches on E-brewery and looking for a few odds and ends. I missed out on Austin Homebrew's 3-piece valve deal, but curious if anyone has any used 1/2" Stainless either 304 or 316 for sale as I am seeking a total of 4. I would perfer 3-piece but if the price is right I'd do 2-piece.

Next I would like to upgrade from hydrometer to refractometer. I will probably end up buying a china model from ebay, but if someone has one laying around I'd rather support a homebrewer.

I'm actually looking more for the sight glass tubing as I have can just put a SS tee at ball valve.

Lastly because I want to be consistent this go around I want to include a water filter. I know may use whole house filters, anyone got a spare?

Thanks guys,
Squeeky

I probably have the best price on a refractometer that is already in the U.S. but if you don't mind waiting, there are plenty in Hong Kong.

If you're putting your own tee in, I have a model SB sight glass kit for that. However, I really don't recommend a sight glass on a drain port. It will not read correctly while draining and you'd have to cap/plug the top of the tube to allow for a siphon tube to work correctly. I recommend a weldless kit like the WLSL.

Actually looks like Austin Homebrew gets my business. I asked if they would be placing them on sale again, they mentioned they would try and get it back on. I go to the site tonight and bam! There it is $16.99 for 3-piece 316, now I get to see what else I can buy to bring total to $100. Bobby_M I've been reading reviews and think I'm going to go with US made refracto. Doesn't seem to be a used market for those.

As for the sight glass I've very tempted, though I got get by with a T on my temp probe inlet, however I think I'd need a nother probe. Better off just going with the weldless setup for $25+shipping if I don't DIY.

Ok ended up getting refractometer from Nisupply.com.

Talked with Charlie of NiSupply over the phone and he is shipping out today in hopes to have it by Friday so I can brew on my new system. Great guy also, I asked about his new refractometer with SG numbers. He was honest and stated I would be better off just going with Brix, and having software/spreadsheet do the calculations for better accuracy.

Nisupply's refractometers are Made in the US? Let me know if it has a made in china sticker when you get it. There's no used market for US made because there aren't many people willing to pay $100 for a used one.

Good eye, Bobby! After looking further your most likely correct that they are made overseas, just ship from US.

No harm, I just don't want others to get the wrong idea. By all means, if anyone finds a refractometer made in a factory in the U.S. under $100, please let me know and I'll probably buy it for myself.

I've actually been considering using RV in-line filters. I'll be brewing at father-in-laws that provides well water, so just something to clean it up a little will help. Plus at under $25 for two filters it should last for a dozen+ brews.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filter-2-Pack/14504322
0001471740045_100X100.jpg

Back