Making a GF IPA today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
Termamyl (thermo stable a amylase) 2.00 tbsp
Millet (toasted, 350F for 40 min) 6.00 lb
Tapioca Starch 3.00 lb
Buckwheat (toasted, 350F for 20 min)2.00 lb
James Brown rice malt (Eckert) 0.5 lb
Biscuit rice Malt (Eckert) 3.50 lb

SEBamyl L (endo amylase) 15.00 ml
ViscoSEB L (cell wall carbohydrase blend) 3.00 ml
SEBpro PL (protease) 3.00 ml

Magnum Hops 1.00 oz 60 min
Fermax Yeast Nutrient 1.00 Tbsp 10 min
Candi Syrup (home made) 1.00 lb 0 min
Centennial Hops 1.00 oz (whirlpool 30 min @ 175)
Citra Hops 1.00 oz (whirlpool 30 min @ 175)
Azecca Hops 1.00 oz (whirlpool 30 min @ 175)

Yeast: "Conan"

Centennial Hops (Dry hop in primary) 1 oz
Azecca Hops (Dry hop in primary) 2 oz
Citra Hops (Dry hop in primary) 1 oz

Azecca Hops (Dry Hop in keg) 1 oz

I am trying to hit the numbers below:

OG 1.068
FG 1.014
ABV 7.1
IBU 60 (hard to calculate due to whirlpool addition)

Termamyl (thermo stable a amylase) 2.00 tbsp
Millet (toasted, 350F for 40 min) 6.00 lb
Tapioca Starch 3.00 lb
Buckwheat (toasted, 350F for 20 min)2.00 lb
James Brown rice malt (Eckert) 0.5 lb
Biscuit rice Malt (Eckert) 3.50 lb

SEBamyl L (endo amylase) 15.00 ml
ViscoSEB L (cell wall carbohydrase blend) 3.00 ml
SEBpro PL (protease) 3.00 ml

Magnum Hops 1.00 oz 60 min
Fermax Yeast Nutrient 1.00 Tbsp 10 min
Candi Syrup (home made) 1.00 lb 0 min
Centennial Hops 1.00 oz (whirlpool 30 min @ 175)
Citra Hops 1.00 oz (whirlpool 30 min @ 175)
Azecca Hops 1.00 oz (whirlpool 30 min @ 175)

Yeast: "Conan"

Centennial Hops (Dry hop in primary) 1 oz
Azecca Hops (Dry hop in primary) 2 oz
Citra Hops (Dry hop in primary) 1 oz

Azecca Hops (Dry Hop in keg) 1 oz

I am trying to hit the numbers below:

OG 1.068
FG 1.014
ABV 7.1
IBU 60 (hard to calculate due to whirlpool addition)

Looks good! Haven't heard of Azecca before, had to look it up. Should be a delicious citrus/pineapple bomb.

I'm interested in incorporating buckwheat into my brews. Can you detail how you mash it? Mashing with the millet, etc or separate. BIAB or trad?

Did you purchase Conan from commercial source or did you harvest out of a can of HT?

For what its worth, these days i mix the buckwheat with the millet and run it all through the mill together and mash it all together. No cereal mashing or anything special. Works fine. I would do what you normally do just with a pound or two of buckwheat in the grain bill.

Galaxy. Chicks dig Galaxy big time. 10/10 it is a winner. Azacca, I like it, but the subtle mango notes are not even in the same league as Galaxy`s maracuja which they recognize and welcome.

mergs

I mash the buckwheat right along with the millet. No pre-cooking, but I do mash very hot (170 F for 2 to 3 hours), so everything gets gelatinized well enough anyway.

May mash is essentially BIAB- without the bag.
I mash in 5 gal of water, in my brew pot.
Lauder by dumping the whole mash into a Zap Pap style lauder tun lined with a BIAB bag.
I then run the wort back into the same brew pot that I mashed in.

By not using a bag during the mash, I am able to apply a lot of direct heat to the mash (as long as I stir a lot).

I bought the Conan strain from Gigayeast in August and have been culturing it ever since...I think this is the 5th beer I have made with it...I prefer it to US05 in PA and IPA. I actually think it would fit well in many styles (as long as you don't mind cloudy beer).

I have not tried Azecca before either, this will be my first beer with it...it sounded good, we will see.

I also do my initial mash in a pot without a bag so that I can heat without concern of damaging the bag. I transfer to two coolers lined with bags for the final long rest. By splitting the mash in the final rest I can easily handle the bags with a relatively large grain bill without pulleys or a "hoist system" and don't have to worry about stuck sparge. Not very elegant but it works.

Awesome guys!!

Malted buckwheat from Grouse, or non malted? If latter whats your source? Bulk aisle?

The buckwheat is just hulled buckwheat groats from the bulk bin.
The store that I get it from orders 20lb bags for me.

I use100% non-malted "adjuncts" to replace base malt in a recipe.
6 to 8 lbs lightly toasted millet, 2 to 3 lbs lightly toasted buckwheat, and 0 to 3 lbs tapioca starch= base malt

I then add 4ish pounds of Eckert rice specialty malts to target the style I am looking for.

This is good but very cloudy.
It is not exactly what I was shooting for, but it is disapearing fast.. am enjoying it.
I could claim that it is intentionaly cloudy, there are whole threads devoted to achieving an opaque IPA...but it was not intentional.
I suspect that some unconverted starch made it into the boil.

The hop charicter is good and very intense.
The body is thin, and the head retention is poor.
FG is 1.011

The Azecca hops provided a sour mango or sour apricot charicter, they would be good paired 50:50 with citra which has a "sweet" charicter to me. I like the Azecca, but probably wont pay a "premium" price for them in the future.

How do you like the rice specialty malt vs millet specialty malt? I have. It used rice but have used millet quite a bit...does the malt flavor come through

The specialty Eckert rice malts are exelent, and are superior (in flavor) to the Grouse millet specialty malts I have used. They are also better than my crude atempts at home malting GF grains. I have never tried the CMC millet malts, so cannot make any comparison there.

Back