Error on First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter840

Reaction score
So I BIAB style last night for my first AG. Basically I was alone and had trouble lifting the bag in my kitchen (I live in an a small APT). The result was that I should have sparged another 1 gallon, but couldn't because I was unable to heat enough water and had trouble holding the grain.

Mash Details:
10 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb specialty grains (mostly Belgian aromatic)
Mashed at 153-160F (again settup prevents more control, will get a cooler soon) in 3.25 gallon of water.

Sparged with about 1.5 gallons.

So at the end of my boil I added 1.5 gallons of water, I intended to sparge with at leat .5 gallons more so I really added about 1/2 gallon more than I should have. Bottom line I only had an OG of 1.044. I am going for an IPA and this is pretty low OG. Should I add something after the fact? I brewed this last night. Maybe I could boil some DME and add it? Or is it alright to just leave it.
Thanks

It's fine to leave it - it will still be beer. And considering it's an IPA and more of a "Summer" beer to my tastes and liking a lower alcohol content isn't a bad thing.

If you're all worried about the OG then you could add DME. But honestly if it's in the carboy and yeast pitched then I'd be less inclined to mess with it.

You learned an important lesson though. So next time you brew you'll learn and have better results.

I certainly learned. I am thinking about putting a pulley and cleat in my kitch to lift the grain bag. SWMBO is not going to approve.

I think I am just going to leave it. I should still have plenty of flavor.

Latest posts

Back