Pumpkin Porter gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
So I just brewed a Pumpkin Porter last week. My OG was 1.061 and last night (6days) the reading was 1.011-1.012. This is a from scratch recipe and my first pumpkin porter. What final gravity range should I expect? Thanks in advance.

And as a shameless plug here is the address of a blog I started. Nothing fancy at all, just fun. http://atomicdonkeybrewing.blogspot.com/

That is a very good FG to have. You are pretty much done fermenting. What temperature did you mash at, and how thick of a mash did you use?

It is most likely done fermenting, but the only way to be absolutely certain is by taking another gravity reading. If it hasn't changed then you are done fermenting, but that doesn't mean you should bottle or keg it, let it sit on top of your beer for another 2 or 3 weeks and then bottle or keg.

I mashed around 154. As far as thickness I'm not really sure how to tell. I'd love some input on that. :) I plan on moving to the secondary for at least 2 weeks when fermentation is done. I will take another reading tonight and see where its at. Thanks for the input.

A thicker mash will give you a beer with more body, which means there are more un fermentable sugars in your beer giving you a higher FG. likewise the higher your mash temperature the more complex sugars will be in your finished beer, which will also affect your FG. That seems normal though sound like your good to go! Keep us updated!

Latest posts

Back