Too much roasted grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
So due to apartment constraints I will soon be moving back to extract/partial mash brewing. My question pertains to a great stout that I've made, but it uses a butt-load of roasted grains. The 5 gallon (partial-mash converted) recipe is as follows:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 41.64 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.93 %
2.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 12.62 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.31 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.31 %
0.75 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.73 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.73 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.73 %

2.00 oz Warrior [15.80 %] (60 min) Hops 60.9 IBU
2.00 oz Willamette [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 9.2 IBU

2.00 oz Oak Chips, Whiskey Soaked (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

I'm concerned that in the mash the black and roasted barley will make it too acidic. If I mash only the chocolate malt and let the runoff pour onto and steep the black patent and roasted barley there, do you think that would get the flavors from those? I won't be doing this for another few weeks, so I'm just trying to think ahead.

You could always just add the roasted grains to the last 20 min or so of the mash. That way the starches can convert in the correct pH before you add the roasted grains. As long as the roasted grains get saturated before sparging, I would think that you would get all the flavor and color contributions from them.

Well, there's only the 3lbs of pale malt to convert, so it shouldn't be too tough. I've heard talk of people cold steeping roasted grains for stouts and the like. I don't know the details, as I've never done it myself, but maybe someone else can chime in, who uses this method? You could also consider mashing the pale malt by itself (or with the crystal) until conversion is complete or nearly complete, and then throw in the roasted grains and give them a bit more time. It will make for a slightly longer mash, but if your pH gets too low, it won't matter much as the conversion will have already taken place. Plus the lower pH may protect against some tannin extraction during sparging.

edit: well, that's what I get for taking forever to hit the "submit" button. I guess it's good we're all saying roughly the same thing.

Plus the lower pH may protect against some tannin extraction during sparging.

Interesting. I was thinking that the ph balance needed to be there for sparging too... well it sounds like steeping would work, but a late addition to the mash may be the way to go.

Back