Help with smoked malts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
So I'd like to make this
Alaskan Smoked Porter Clone
OG= 1.065
FG= 1.015
IBU= 45
SRM= 58
ABV= 6.5%

8.25# 2 row pale malt
4.0# Munich Malt
12 oz. crystal malt(45L)
11oz. Chocolate Malt
7oz. Black Patent Malt
10.75 AAU Chinook hops(60min)
3.75 AAU Willamette (15min)
WPL002 English Ale

Directions- Smoke 1# of the munich malt with alder wood. Mash at 154F. Boil 90min. Ferment at 68F.

So, As an apartment brewer smoking malt isnt an option. Suggestions on a good substitute/solution?

Well I know there is several different kinds, but should I drop a pound of munich and add a pound of pre-smoked malt? And if so what kind of smoked malt should I use?

First off I have never had the beer. But from the recipe with 4.0# munich 1# lb smoked. It sounds kind of like a sweet smoky beer. Not overly sweet but not dry. I like smoke beer and if it was me I would cut 1/2 munich and 1/2 2 row so it doesn't get to far off. If you can't find the alder smoked only two suggestions I can give are Rauch (beech wood) or cherry. But I would not use peat unless you want to make something else;);)

And they will not taste the same as the alder smoked. Every wood has a different aroma and taste

I would guess that as an apartment brewer the cost and hassle of trying to smoke a pound of malt would be way more than what it is worth.

My suggestion would be to sub a pound of base malt with rauch malt, which is beechwood smoked. I think that way most of your grain profile would stay the same.

Those directions are pretty vague on the type of wood. There are several kinds of Alder wood (western red, speckled etc) which will have different aroma and flavor profiles. If you're unsure of what to smoke, you could possible buy some woodchips from a local store and smoke your malt in a grill or buy pre-smoked malt. Usually the smell of the smoked malt is exactly how it's going to taste when used effectively in your beer.

Another option might be liquid smoke, however I don't know if it's effective or would even be compatible (ingredient wise) for a beer. If anyone has experience with liquid smoke in a brew I'd like to hear about.

First, you're gonna need upwards of 30-50% smoked malt to get anywhere near the ballpark of alaska smoked porter. My suggestion would be to just start out with rauchmalt, it produces a very good smoked porter. Check in the recipes database, BierMuncher has a great recipe for a smoked porter using ~50% rauchmalt.

That recipe is straight from BYO so I'm pretty confident in its accuracy. I do have a patio but no grill, and on top of that I'm not too sure where to get ahold of alderwood, so I may just try subbing for a few pounds of rauch. I'm not looking for super intense smokey smell/taste, just strong hint.
I've never had Alaskan Smoked Porter so making an exact clone isn't really the issue. But In my research it appears to be arguably the holy grail of smoked porter, so I want something close.
I'm hesitant about liquid smoke, but not apposed. I've read some about it, but not enough for me to really consider it over natural smoked malts. Would a liquid smoke get me closer to an appetizing smoked porter in comparison?

I brewed a rauchbier with about 30% rauch malt and it was definitely not overpowering, just a 'strong hint', so don't be too scared of it. The peat-smoked malt is what you have to be careful with.

That recipe is straight from BYO so I'm pretty confident in its accuracy. I do have a patio but no grill, and on top of that I'm not too sure where to get ahold of alderwood, so I may just try subbing for a few pounds of rauch. I'm not looking for super intense smokey smell/taste, just strong hint.
I've never had Alaskan Smoked Porter so making an exact clone isn't really the issue. But In my research it appears to be arguably the holy grail of smoked porter, so I want something close.
I'm hesitant about liquid smoke, but not apposed. I've read some about it, but not enough for me to really consider it over natural smoked malts. Would a liquid smoke get me closer to an appetizing smoked porter in comparison?

i would definitely not use liquid smoke. just use the rauchmalt. and i don't know where BYO got that recipe, because the guys from Alaskan are notoriously secretive with the smoked porter recipe... or at least how they smoke it, what percentage they use, etc. you might consider listening to the podcast of them being interviewed by the brewing network. he might give some hints there.

So lets say I want to clone Stone's smoked porter but want to sub the peated malt for rauch, should I drop like 30% of the 2 row and add it?

Latest posts

Back