What ever happened to beer balls?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 19 when I got married and the groomsmen and I were kind of upset that we were not gonna be able to get tanked at my reception. O' Contraire Monfraire, My best man came through for us as he showed up with one of these beauties iced down in the back of a 92' Berretta. Hooray, the night was saved! My dad asked why we kept going out to the parking lot that night, I think he new but was cool with it. Hooray beer!

My buddy had a mid '70's Mercury Marquis back in the early 90's. The beer ball was kept in a box with ice in the trunk. We modified the back seat (read: cut out a hole) so we could reach in and pump it. Then added some hose on the tap so it could stretch to the front seat. For passenger use only of course.

Semi-legal antics usually ensued.

You are correct. In the late eighties and early nineties, Coors released a similar product called a party ball.
Actually F.X. Matt Brewery in Utica, NY was the first to come out with the beerball around 1976-77. The big companies jumped on the bandwagon in the 80s.

D14662E7-22A6-4386-827C-34E501C6CE90.jpeg

Thanks for the necromancy! It brought back a bunch of memories!.
When I turned 18, my brother and a friend and I skipped school and put a pretty good dent in one. That was 1982. In 1983 they changed the drinking age to 19. So, I was able to legally drink for 3 months in 1982, couldn't for the first 9 months of 1983, and could again that September! In 1984 the age turned to 21, but I was grandfathered that time.
We used to go tubing on a local river. We put a little net over one tube and dropped in a beer ball. That was so much fun!

Back