Extract twang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Is there any way to get rid of extract twang? Or is it just a byproduct of using LME. My last couple of batches tasted good but there was something lingering in the background, one was a blonde ale and the next was an amber ale both different tastes but the same lingering something in the background, if that makes sense!

I know the twang of which you speak. You can try adding half (or more) of your LME late in the boil @ 15 minutes remaining. Just take your kettle off the heat and gently stir your extract in. You can also try to cut down on the amount of extract you are using by doing a mini mash to get more gravity points from grain as opposed to extract.

Besides the extract twang, it could be your water. I've found that I have a hard time cloning a beer because my water does not taste like the water used in the commercial beer I am cloning. Not that my beer is bad. It just comes out different. How many batches have you done? Are you cloning, or brewing your own recipes?

When I first started brewing, I thought there was an extract "twang" but found out it was my process. For me it was controlling the fermentation temperature and improved sanitation procedures that greatly improved my beer.

I don't really think it was the extract. LME is just condensed wort that you are basically rehydrating. could be the process you use. Probably not the product.

LME is an extract, just a liquid/syrup form of extract. Extract twang does occur and it could be the water being used. Many people will add the majority of their LME/DME late in the boil, like the last 15 minutes and it seems to help eliminate the twang. Give that a try first. If that doesn't work then it's time to investigate your water chemistry and see what is too high or too low for the type of beer you are brewing.

I know the twang of which you speak. You can try adding half (or more) of your LME late in the boil @ 15 minutes remaining. Just take your kettle off the heat and gently stir your extract in. You can also try to cut down on the amount of extract you are using by doing a mini mash to get more gravity points from grain as opposed to extract.

Besides the extract twang, it could be your water. I've found that I have a hard time cloning a beer because my water does not taste like the water used in the commercial beer I am cloning. Not that my beer is bad. It just comes out different. How many batches have you done? Are you cloning, or brewing your own recipes?

I use bottled water. I'll try the late addition process. I plan on doing partial mash or BIAB just finishing my set up

My sanitation us pretty good, I clean & sanitise thoroughly after each batch, I then clean and sanitise right before brewing. The fermentation temp could be at fault but I don't think so as it stays around 20c mostly unless it drops, the FV is in my garage do it dosen't get too warm in there. Being in ireland the ambiente temp is quiet low (you could nearly lager with no assistance ��) so I use a brew belt to keep temp stable

When I first started brewing, I thought there was an extract "twang" but found out it was my process. For me it was controlling the fermentation temperature and improved sanitation procedures that greatly improved my beer.

I agree with this.

Fermentation temperature is the biggest part of these twangy/bitter aftertastes.

I had twang on my first couple batches but now that I control fermentation temps my beers are smooth and clean tasting and I am using the same well water I have always used.

Latest posts

Back