Twisted Caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm usually short on regular (pry-off) bottles and thought about using twist-off bottles this time, too. From doing some research online there is a number of people that don't like using twist-off bottles. Does anybody have experience with twist-off bottles and can tell me if there is really a difference or not?
Thanks!

I have a buddy that reuses not only the bottles he reuses the caps as well and reports great success in simply twisting them back on.

I've never tried it myself. The question comes up sometimes, take a look at this thread:
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27004&highlight=twist+bottles

You can probably do it if you're using a bench capper, although some people will tell you that they don't seal as well. If you put a ballon on the top of a capped bottle you can see if you have a good seal or not.

Evan! said:
The first question to come to mind is: why?

Because I could use all those bottels I have without buying more beer just to get bottels.

I use twist off bottles and no problems. You should have a bench capper. Don't twist off the caps , you should you an opener. The bottles will last longer. I have twist off bottles about 20 years old and still good.

Cool One said:
I use twist off bottles and no problems. You should have a bench capper. Don't twist off the caps , you should you an opener. The bottles will last longer. I have twist off bottles about 20 years old and still good.

Keep in mind that our twist off type bottles have thicker glass than the American ones and can be reused many times without worry. I have been using these type bottles for over 20 years without any worries.
I have only had 3 break on me in all those years.

We've used basically any brown bottle we can get ahold and they all work fine. For the twistoff bottles a bench capper is most likely needed. We did a test before using any of them by way over primming a bottle then setting it aside, it never exploded... until we threw it in the air and it hit the ground that is.

So its pretty safe to use either kind of bottle and you should get a good seal with a bench capper on the twistoff ones.

I use both crown seal bottles and twist tops and have never had a problem with them. I have a bench capper and it always seals them fine. In fact twist tops have got me out of trouble a couple of times when i dont have an opener and i dont want to stuff my teeth

i hate twist off's they dont seal tight(BUD/miller/coors).
And hieneken and amstel bottles......they dont seal right either.

i have that red double armed capper.

kleinbeer said:
In fact twist tops have got me out of trouble a couple of times when i dont have an opener and i dont want to stuff my teeth

Don't you know, that's what a titanium wedding band is for. :D Makes wife happy that I always wear it, and makes me happy that I can always get into a beer. :drunk:

i can use pretty much anything to open a beer...any kitchen utensil will work. i usually have a lighter handy, too. i know this guy that chipped two of his teeth opening bottles...thought that was pretty stupid.

bobbydigital said:
i hate twist off's they dont seal tight(BUD/miller/coors).
And hieneken and amstel bottles......they dont seal right either.

i have that red double armed capper.

You might have better results if you got a bench capper and threw that plastic wing capper in the garbage or give it to a new brewer they don't know any better.

kleinbeer said:
I use both crown seal bottles and twist tops and have never had a problem with them. I have a bench capper and it always seals them fine. In fact twist tops have got me out of trouble a couple of times when i dont have an opener and i dont want to stuff my teeth
:D good thing

abracadabra said:
I have a buddy that reuses not only the bottles he reuses the caps as well and reports great success in simply twisting them back on.

Did you not buy him the capper for his birthday then?

Since this thread's been resurrected, I have a twist-off update.

Some twist-off bottles worked their way into my supply and I used them without noticing until I opened them. They worked fine; I'm now reconsidering my original position.

They're probably Otter Creek bottles, I'm guessing, although I'm not sure if it matters.

dibby33 said:
Did you not buy him the capper for his birthday then?

:) Not yet! But my aunt just gave me an old bench capper. So I'm trying to decide if I should give my old wing capper to him or my Brother in Law.

It will work. I have experienced poor seals and broken threads on very rare occasions. I have vowed to use only pryoff bottles, but if push comes to shove i will use the twist offs without a worry.

abracadabra said:
:) Not yet! But my aunt just gave me an old bench capper. So I'm trying to decide if I should give my old wing capper to him or my Brother in Law.

What is your best return on your investiment?

i.e. which one makes the best beer / shares the most? ;)

I've used twist type bottles of all brands for many batches, and they seem to work fine. I'm usually using a red double-handled capper, too. Sometimes, the dent in the middle of the cap doesn't go down as far as a regular bottle, but I've never had a bad seal!

dibby33 said:
What is your best return on your investiment?

i.e. which one makes the best beer / shares the most? ;)

That would have to be my buddy not only that his place on the river is awesome

The brother in law would simply be to introduce him to the hobby

I tried it the other week and so far it looks like it works. While bottleing the last batch I used about 4-5 twist-off bottles and so far no real difference. Among those bottles were one bud light and yengling

Back