First Time Kegger needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
I have 5gal of ready to bottle beer and several empty corny kegs. Im in the process of building the kegerator, have all the parts except the co2 tank. is it ok to rack said beer into the corny keg with half of the priming sugar (i am told not to use as much as if i were botteling) and let carb up at room temp or do i need to put some co2 in there to make sure it seals up. if this is the case im sure i can let the beer hang out in the seconday a little longer, but i have three taps to fill and only one beer ready to go, i need my buckets back. Help me out.

Well, you could definitely go ahead and keg your beer. I do like to give it a shot of co2 to ensure the lid is sealed tightly, and to purge the keg of oxygen, but you won't hurt anything if you need to keg the beer.

You could add some keg lube (mineral oil type lubricant) to the orings and seals to help ensure a good seal.

I recently started kegging and I failed to get a good seal on the first 2 out of 3 kegs I tried. These were. Used kegs that were shipped to me holding a co2 seal.

Yes, you need to add some co2 to close the kegs. If you don't have a source for CO2, there will never be enough pressure to seal the kegs. The gas generated by the yeast will seap out between the seals before it seals up. You need to have the CO2 tank anyway for kegging so it's time to go for it.

Back