How to make a stainless braid for MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

Reaction score
How do you get the rubber out of a stainless steel braided supply line. I'm going to make one for my new MLT and was wondering what the easiest way is to remove the rubber hose.

Thanks

I cut the ends off with a hack saw. Then, think of chinese handcuffs, you can't pull the rubber out. You have to grab the braid about 4-6 inches back and then compress the braid. The rubber should push out.

I might not have explained it well but hopefully you get the idea..

I chopped the tips off with a hatchet. I found a saw too clumsy and had a vision of me cutting a finger or two off, so a hatchet seemed like a better idea. Plus it took about 4 whacks total.

May I recommend that you look around and see if your hardware store has braided lines for water heaters - they have a much bigger diameter than the standard washing machine type hoses.

Very carefully, lop the ends off, then its kinda like working out of a straight jacket. 1/2 inch at a time. It took me hours. Bet I could have done it in 1 hr if'n I was sober.

Very carefully, lop the ends off, then its kinda like working out of a straight jacket. 1/2 inch at a time. It took me hours. Bet I could have done it in 1 hr if'n I was sober.

+1..It only took me 10-15 minutes to get that rubber out. I used needle nose plyers and did a push pull kind of thing..Nice and easy..

Mine was a major p.i.t.a. I ended up peeling back as much SS as I could, and put about 1" of the plastic hose in a table vice. Then I worked the stainless off it slowly.

You guys had that much trouble? I found out after I chopped the ends off that I didn't own any needlenose pliers, so I peeled back about 1/4" of the stainless, held the rubber hose in my teeth, and just pushed off the stainless braid. Took all of 15 seconds maybe.

dremel tool to cut... needle nose pliers to pull out the plastic tube.. copper pipe with holes drilled in it inserted into the SS braided line to ensure it doesn't collapse on the weight of the grainbed... connected to the coupler inside the cooler via a SS hose clamp.

OK and out of all of these methods, who didn't get poked by the razor sharp tiny tiny little SS wires? NOT I!

Latest posts

Back