Yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
I know alot of people wash there yeast. Well I was just about to dump my last nottingham cake when I thought about how hard it is to get now. So I just quickly steralized a Grolsh bottle and dumped some slurry in it.

My question is if I'm not concerned about any color or flavor [last brew was lite and not very hoppy] can I just throw this in the fridge and pitch it later with out doing anything else to it? I've got about an inch of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Do I need to make a starter when I use it or is that enough to pitch?

I didn't know Notty is hard to get.

My viewpoint - Pitch onto yeastcake if your ready with the next batch. Otherwise it is not worth it for $1.70.

Every where I go there is no notty. One told me none till late fall. Even online very hard.

Easy for those of you with endless supplies of nottingham. Last order lhbs sent me munich yeast instead. I like the yeasts qualities and wouldn't mind keeping it around, just asking is it will be good when I go to use it. It only took me 5 min. to save it. If I could run down the street and get more I would.

Latest posts

Back