What do you do with the morons??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonek

Reaction score
Now I know most people will say to just ignore the people who claim to know what they're doing, but my brother-in-law is driving me nuts!!!!

(be warned, long rant) :drunk:

So last week, my brother-in-law tells me him and a friend brewed a few beers in the last 4 weeks. (This, after him finding out I started brewing again) He made a Honey Porter that he says he's already drinking, a Rasberry Wheat, again drinking already and a Hard Lemonade.

Honey Porter -

I've been thinking of making something like this myself, but wasn't sure if the honey flavor would come through so I ask him how much honey he used. Answer? 5 lbs. I said, "you used that much!!!!!!" What kind of yeast are you using? Nottingham was the reply... He tells me it's very sweet and it isn't carbed yet... I tried to explain that he probably killed the yeast and it will never carb. AND he has a high potential for bombs. I asked him if he used a hydrometer, he said no that's for wussies to just check what your alcohol content would be...

Rasberry Wheat -

He explained to me that they used a concentrate and it's a little strong to drink atm but he's hoping to age it a few months and it will taste better. No listening to me that wheat beers are better drunk young.

Hard Lemonade -

I've never made anything like this so I asked him what the recipe was. 7 cans of concentrate and 5 lbs of table sugar........ He said he was planning on stopping the ferment before it was done so it tasted sweeter, but for some reason it was still bubbling away 2 weeks later. I tried explaining politely, believe me. He told me by racking to a secondary it would filter all the yeast out and that's how he would keep it sweeter. By now, I was looking for a spoon to stab in my eye.

I asked him if his beers were AG since he said he friend has been brewing for a few years. Answer, yes. I asked him how he built his mash tun. He said they weren't using one.

I give up...

Not worth your trouble. Let morons make bad beer, while you make good beer...and don't stress over it (unless he makes you drink it...then it's perfectly acceptable to sucker-punch him in the kidney).

It's fairly obvious he is still in the max. ABV & who cares about taste stage. No worse than the "too much Cascades in everything" crowd.

"Some people only learn from experience. Most people don't learn, period."

Kick him in the nuts, then point and giggle at him and tell him to never talk beer with you again. :rockin:

The problem with people like that is that the same part of their personality that makes them do things half-assed and get poor results also makes them unable to see why doing things half-assed and getting poor results is unacceptable. Just ignore him or politely nod. There's nothing you can do to make him understand what a tool he is.

I tell people I make beer at home, and usually they raise an eyebrow and tell a story about their uncle or someone else they know who brews bad, yeasty beer.

I'm getting tired of the assumption that homebrewed beer is nasty beer, and this jerk isn't helping any.

I'll just try to make the best beer I can and share it and hopefully convert one or two non-believers.

This is definalty the guy that gives homebrewers a bad reputation and he needs mass amouts of cock punches stat! Someone needs to take his equipment away from him and donate it to the less fortunate, like a good will for homebrewers.

Cheers

Have you tried any of his brews yet? Playing devils advocate here but what if they are good tasting? Would you just give it up to luck or agree that he at least knows a little?

Yeah....

And he's gotta get going now cuz he's meeting....uh...PAMELA ANDERSON....

Yeah...they're going on a date!

That's the ticket.

Cuz he and Pamela are invited to St. Louis to meet...uh...Auggie Busch the 4th...yeah...that's the ticket....Auggie is waiting for them....

Cuz Auggie is SOoooo excited about making him a partner and selling his beer and they gotta sign a .... MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT....yeah...

Yeah...that's the ticket.

BierMuncher said:
Yeah....

And he's gotta get going now cuz he's meeting....uh...PAMELA ANDERSON....

Yeah...they're going on a date!

That's the ticket.

Cuz he and Pamela are invited to St. Louis to meet...uh...Auggie Busch the 4th...yeah...that's the ticket....Auggie is waiting for them....

Cuz Auggie is SOoooo excited about making him a partner and selling his beer and they gotta sign a .... MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT....yeah...

Yeah...that's the ticket.

Almost as funny as your cousin, carpet. :D

brloomis said:
I tell people I make beer at home, and usually they raise an eyebrow and tell a story about their uncle or someone else they know who brews bad, yeasty beer.

I'm getting tired of the assumption that homebrewed beer is nasty beer, and this jerk isn't helping any.

I'll just try to make the best beer I can and share it and hopefully convert one or two non-believers.

If I had a nickel.......;)

Back