Third starter. Is this too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
S my starter too small? Three cups water and 1.5 cups DME. One vile white labs yeast for a northern English brown.

image-750248833.jpg

Only about 800 ml

Starter size is determined by batch size. If you were brewing a gallon of beer, that may be too much. If you were brewing 20 gallons, it would be way too small. What batch size are you brewing?

5 gallons. I left it on the stir plate all last nigh. Looks a bit bigger so it's growing. Leaving it on all day while at work

Bree day is sat can I just leave it on the plate till then?

Bree day is sat can I just leave it on the plate till then?

Yes,,, it'll just get more yeast propagated, which is a good thing. Made my first ever starter a couple of weeks ago (sat on stirplate for about 48 hours), and wound up with 8-900ml of starter volume myself. (for a 5 gallon batch of approx 1.065 SG)

The fermentation was so aggressive, I had to use a blow off tube for the first time :rockin: Even then, the krausen crept all the way through a 1/2" diameter 5 foot long section of tube, into a pitcher of sanitized water.

For my second time using a stirplate/starter, I went with a 1ltr starter for my hefeweizen, which has a SG of about 1.050. Different yeast, different behavior. Good, quick fermentation with a thick layer of krausen and bubbles in the airlock.

Have fun and don't worry about the size of your starter... unless you're making a 20 gallon batch, which you already said is only 5 gallons. :tank:

Back