Oatmeal BIAB???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
I have 2 brews coming up using oatmeal, breakfast stout and an oatmeal mild.
both are low gravity, and with my recent success with 1 vessel BIAB no sparge @ 81% efficiency, I may be doing my next few low gravitys this way. Hefe is this weekend. then back to traditional fly sparge for a porter, then these.

Anyway, has anyone done oatmeal in the BIAB method. both are low gravity oatmeal beers w/ 1lb in mild and w/ 1.5lbs of oats in breakfast stout which is a kind of high on the total grain bill for both.

any problems with conversion of oats? mash temps are going to be high around 156° to low about 154°. Both use Marris Otter as the base grain.

I've heard wheats work well in a BIAB... no rice hulls needed as it's no sparge. similar mash temps in the 152-154° range.

any comments appreciated.

I've used 1lb of oats a few times with BIAB without any problems

I have used a pound of Quaker oats for my all grain Nut Brown recipe. Based on advice I toast the oats on a cookie tray at 350 for about 10 min. Criteria for done was when the oats smell great.

Thanks!

OH JayB that sounds great for the oatmeal mild! I will definitely toast 1lb in that. It just may give that little beer that push over the top! should be a browny amber (also using a good portion for a brown malt with the oats at 3.3 - 3.7%. even if I loose some efficiency I'd be really happy at the low end. Planning on s-04 yeast.

Excellent advice! Brew on!

JayB mind sending me that recipe? either here or in a PM. I'm sure others would appreciate it as well. OR post it in the recipe section, that way it could live on forrrreevvvvverrrr (sandlot reference):D

Back