Belgian APA/IPA - brewed this last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Brewed this up last night. Had what seemed like a brew-ending disaster at the beginning of the night: The hopper on my barley crusher fell over onto my deck full of the entire grain bill. I recovered most of it and probably only lost a pound or so of grain. I get really good efficiency so I don't think I will end up losing too much, but it might be in the low 6% range instead of around 7% where I initially wanted.

5.5 Gal Recipe:

10# Vienna
1# Rye
.5# Cara-pils
.5# dextrose
.5# cane sugar

Mashed @ 150-152 for 60 minutes

.5oz Columbus @ FWH
.75oz Columbus @ 60 min
.5oz Centennial @ 30 min
.5oz Centennial @ 20 min
1oz Amarillo @ 10 min
1oz Cascade @ 5 min

Pitched a starter of WLP500 that smelled great. Wort tasted great but I didn't take a gravity reading. Will probably ferment for 3 weeks then keg with dry hops (prob 1oz each amarillo and centennial)

Figured I would give an update on this one since I posted the recipe and finished the keg awhile ago.

It got 1oz each Amarillo and Centennial pellets in the keg. After sitting on gas and hops for a week the beer tasted awesome. I love the flavor and aroma intersections you get with belgian yeast and american hops. All those who sample it loved it. You really got different flavors as the beer warmed too, with it being real crisp and floral at lower temps and very fruity a little warmer.

Next time I will add a little caravienne for a bit more color and maybe sub the dextrose for some homeade belgian candy sugar. I will also use some Citra hops in conjunction with Amarillo and up the flavor hop additions. Also going to use WLP550 Belgian Ale as it is what I have around now.

Back