What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a founders at a bar recently. It was pretty busy and the bar tender really didn't know anything about craft. It tastes like sewer water totally sickening. Turns out it wasn't a founders like from Michigan but a Newcastle founders.

Totally gross don't know if the beer is that bad or if they have filthy lines and pour my drink into something that had tequila in it and was not washed.

I made a apple cider from Mr. Beer and let's just say it taste like hot water. Well maybe it was the kit or maybe it was me the brewer. First time with Mr. Beer and apple cider. I made my recipe this time and I tried it and was not the greatest. I'll let this one sit a few more weeks. Maybe I'm not good at ciders.

tripplehazzard said:
I'll have to try that one then.. I have never been a Sam Adams fan. I actually try and avoid it

I like the small batch stuff they do. I loved the Gingerbread Stout that was out at Christmas time.

I made a apple cider from Mr. Beer and let's just say it taste like hot water. Well maybe it was the kit or maybe it was me the brewer. First time with Mr. Beer and apple cider. I made my recipe this time and I tried it and was not the greatest. I'll let this one sit a few more weeks. Maybe I'm not good at ciders.

Ciders can be very easy. Take a look in the recipe section for Dave's caramel cider. It is a great base recipe without the spices and a great fall/winter cider with the spices.

D_Nyholm said:
Ciders can be very easy. Take a look in the recipe section for Dave's caramel cider. It is a great base recipe without the spices and a great fall/winter cider with the spices.

I'll check it out thank you. I mean I made cider just not what I was hoping.

I ordered a founders at a bar recently. It was pretty busy and the bar tender really didn't know anything about craft. It tastes like sewer water totally sickening. Turns out it wasn't a founders like from Michigan but a Newcastle founders.

Totally gross don't know if the beer is that bad or if they have filthy lines and pour my drink into something that had tequila in it and was not washed.

No, the beer is bad. Really bad. And at this point, way past expired.

+1 on third shift. Picked it up from a gas station because it was the only kind other than the standard beers everywhere.

Drinking a beer now that I wanted to add to this thread although it is not the worst beer I've even had... right now it qualifies as the most disappointing... flying dog single hop citra... I absolutely wanted to love this beer, and then I tasted it... all I seem to be getting is the crystal and the rye in the recipe... and I HATE RYE.. meh

Epic Ales Cinco Plantas brewed with epazote. So bad!

Wow, I just looked that one up. Sounds Epic indeed.

I looked it up too. LOLed at one review:

"Oh boy, some stale tire air aroma right up front. Maybe I spent too much time repairing bike tires as a kid, but this is what I would smell when I had to repair bike tires. "

The worst ever commercial beer I've had is a recent one:

The Devastator Doppelbock from Wasatch brewery.

I must have gotten a bad batch, because the bottles I have tried do not taste like a doppel, yet BA scores are fairly good. The one i have tried are incredibly sweet, and cidery. It tastes like someone dumped a bunch of sugar into the beer to up the ABV. I get mostly sweet, with very little malt. It's almost belgian, with none of the redeeming aspects.

edit: read a few more reviews, and I'm not the only one who doesn't get it. Several others have remarked that it's closer to a quad than a doppelbock, and that it is way too sweet. So i guess my tastebuds are vindicated.

Just had DFH 61 last night...it did nothing for me. Of course that was after can of Heady and a bottle of Pliny, but I'm still pretty sure it isn't good.

Just had DFH 61 last night...it did nothing for me. Of course that was after can of Heady and a bottle of Pliny, but I'm still pretty sure it isn't good.

Darn. I just bought a few bottles of that! At least I will be going into it with low expectations so I may have a different experience now :)

Darn. I just bought a few bottles of that! At least I will be going into it with low expectations so I may have a different experience now :)

If you like it I'll send you my remaining three bottles. I really don't know what I'm going to do with them.

I wanna do a beer trade including some of that infamous ketchup... The whattaburger or what not

I had no idea their ketchup was such a big deal. We have plenty of restaurants in the area. I haven't seen it in stores, but I also haven't looked for it. I could definitely get some packets.

Rogue bacon maple ale, just made the list last night..

Ugh. I've had it sitting around forever and finally had over a guest that didn't know better. We dumped most of it.

Definitely on my top 5 is Rock Art Brewing's Imperial Pumpkin Spruce Stout. Absolutely gross, thick and heavy but utterly without balance from the hops. Pumpkin for me adds an element that is both bland and cloying if that makes sense. The spruce just added an extra element of nastiness. If I were served this with the brewmaster standing in front of me it would be all I could do to force a gulp down my throat, and croak out a "well, it's definitely interesting." One of only a few beers I've dumped.

I was previously hating on Abita Jockamo. I would gladly drink a six pack of Jockamo if I was given a choice between that and Deep Ellum Farmhouse Wit. As a side note, I am a fan of saisons and farmhouse ales. I like most Belgian's I try and enjoy the yeast funk and spice adjuncts. However, Deep Ellum's Farmhouse wit is disgusting. It tastes like a rubber inner tube with a sprinkle of pepper and coriander. I was able to choke down Jockamo. I bought a 4-pack of Deep Ellum's Farmhouse tallboys and dumped three of them, 1/2 of the first can, 1/2 of the second can, and the last two full cans. I tried them a few days apart, thinking that maybe my taste buds were off the first time around, but no, it was equally bad the second time.

I was previously hating on Abita Jockamo. I would gladly drink a six pack of Jockamo if I was given a choice between that and Deep Ellum Farmhouse Wit. As a side note, I am a fan of saisons and farmhouse ales. I like most Belgian's I try and enjoy the yeast funk and spice adjuncts. However, Deep Ellum's Farmhouse wit is disgusting. It tastes like a rubber inner tube with a sprinkle of pepper and coriander. I was able to choke down Jockamo. I bought a 4-pack of Deep Ellum's Farmhouse tallboys and dumped three of them, 1/2 of the first can, 1/2 of the second can, and the last two full cans. I tried them a few days apart, thinking that maybe my taste buds were off the first time around, but no, it was equally bad the second time.

I enjoy jockiamo

I don't want to start any arguments but I think mine is actually Dogfish Head's 120min IPA. I'm not saying it's "bad" because some people obviously love it. It's just not for me. Way too syrupy. No amount of hops can mask the "am I drinking Aunt Jemima??" sweetness. I've tried it both on tap and in bottles on a few occasions and it's just not my style. If not that, probably Dogfish Head's Black & Red. Raspberry, chocolate and mint beer? My buddy and I both shot each other disgusted looks when we tried it. Again, I bet some would try it and LOVE it but my taste buds rejected it.

(I hate to say that, too, because I really respect Dogfish Head and Sam C.)

morticus said:
Do you mean Widmer?
Pyramid is distributed by Coors ;-)

False.

This is what is wrong with the Internet. People just spout things off without any regard to facts. It is a Coors truck that delivers Pyramid to my store. The last two beerfests I have been to, Pyramid was served under a Coors tent.

I didn't say that it was owned or produced by Coors, but they clearly have a distribution relationship.

CliffMongoloid said:
I enjoy jockiamo

I've tried on several occasions, but I just can't. It's tolerable compared to my more recent experience with Deep Ellum's Farmhouse though.

Rogue bacon maple ale, just made the list last night..

When a beer makes this list multiple times - independently. You know it is really bad. I can't imagine wasting my time and tastebuds figuring out which of the beers on this growing list is the worst, but the Voodoo donut beer from Rogue is flatout awful and embarrassing for a brewery that usually gets it mostly right.

When a beer makes this list multiple times - independently. You know it is really bad. I can't imagine wasting my time and tastebuds figuring out which of the beers on this growing list is the worst, but the Voodoo donut beer from Rogue is flatout awful and embarrassing for a brewery that usually gets it mostly right.

I don't know... They tend to mostly get it "meh" IMO. The fact that the CEO is an ex-Nike exec and his son is an ex-Adidas exec probably explains why they're obsessed with marketing and not quality of the product. The first time I noticed it was when I visited their Portland brewpub and was wondering why they felt the need to make a beer based on a reality TV show about crab fishing (Cap'n Sig's Northwestern Ale). Then, the stories of their employee abuse, union busting, gross neglect of the brewery's sanitary conditions, etc came out, I pretty much just wrote them off. Why pay $2-5 more per 6-pack for something mediocre that also then helps support a company that openly shames and insults its workers and brags in its newsletters regarding how many people they've fired? And before people jump in saying that that type of info is just from an angry ex-employee, there are just far too many employees and ex-employees with corroborating stories for it to be made up. They've also been in the news for some of their antics.

And then the Voodoo beer happened. Collaborate to make a gimmick beer with a gimmicky, tourist-trap donut shop that you sell for $13 a bottle. Terrible reviews galore. So they made another gimmick beer with them: the peanut butter, chocolate, banana ale. Terrible reviews galore. The nail in the coffin was the Powell's Book Store collaboration. Yes, a book store beer. Since it's also such a huge tourist trap, surely this marketing gimmick will make lots of money for them, right? But how do you make a book store based beer? They brewed the beer with pages torn from Moby Dick in the kettle and called it White Whale. Will that make it better? No. Will that add to the quality in any way? No. It's another stupid marketing gimmick designed as a seriously cheap money grab and it's insulting. They even grab a bit of your money when they tell you they'll give you a free taster of their beer. Plus, they make Beard Beer. Nuff said.

There are too many very good breweries in this area for me to want to give my money to Rogue.

Latest posts

Back