Keggerator Freakout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
So last night before I go to bed, I check up on my SWMBO Slayer in my keggerator. Been in there since Sunday night.

The temp in the keggerator is 90 on my thermometer. The beer temp is 76!

Why?

Because somehow, the new light I installed was running for about 6 hrs STRAIGHT. Kicking off NASTY heat. Apparently, the johnson control didn't counteract the temp swing at all.

I pulled the fridge bulb out, and this morning, the temp is back down to where it should be. However, the beer has since stopped burping.

How bad did I screw myself? Fairly concerned about the brew at this point.

It probably just fermented out really fast, since that's pretty warm for ale yeast and the fermentation would go superquick at a warm temperature.

What kind of yeast did you use? Some yeast strains are more tolerant of high temperatures than others. It'll still be fine, but it might have more fruity esters (banana or bubblegum flavors) than you expected.

I used Wyeast 3942 Belgian Wheat from a starter. To be honest, from what I've seen from the SWMBO Slayer thread, I was expecting blowoff. So I put in my blow off tube, and ended up with a 2 inch Krausen. I swirled it down off the sides, and the Krausen never reformed.

I got home yesterday, checked the beer, checked the gravity of my satellite brew in a beer bottle, and everything was just fine. Was bubbling away. About 7 hrs later before bed, I felt like checking up on it (thankfully I did) and the bulb in the fridge had stayed on for those 7 hours somehow.

This morning the temp has come back down to where it should be...but with a burp every 30 secs or so...I'm worried. Looks like all the yeast is on the bottom of the carboy, and isn't common for this beer, as per the monster thread.

I'm sure I'm worrying for nothing....but man...that temp spike freaked me out. I hope it didn't create off flavors.

Latest posts

Back