IPA with lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Brewed a lactose ipa about 11 days ago.

Used:
11# marris
.25 # wheat malt
.5 # crystal 40
1# corn sugar

7.5 gallon boil
5.5 gallon batch

Mash went well. Used two packets of wlp 001. Fermented around 65 degress (had to warm it to get there). Gravity so far is about 5 points off (abv should be around 7 % but it is sitting at 6.1%). Activity has pretty much stopped. I didn't have any yeast nutrient and I have yet to obtain an airation system other than shaking the carboy prior to introducing the yeast. I know 001 likes to be around 68-70 degress.

My question is should I warm tge carboy slightly and rouse the yeast to get those extra points gone? Is it worth it?

Thanks for any and all info!!!

You had lactose and corn sugar in the boil? Corn sugar will dry it out, but lactose is nonfermenatable and will add some sweetness and body. So your gravity might be higher that you expect with lactose.

I accounted for the lactose (approx 7-8 points in 5 gals). I placed the corn sugar in to bump the abv up a tad. I know it's not ideal but I only have limited boil capacity. That's why I went with a pound of lactose instead of 1/4-1/2 pound.

What was the Exp OG and FG? Where are you at now? And did you transfer at all or still in the primary?

I had some success with my last NEIPA raising the temp a few degrees for last 4 days and I was able to grab another couple points. So I wouldnt count it out!

Expected OG 1.073/ actual 1.072/expect FG 1.020/actual FG 1.025 right now. It is still in primary with 2 oz of amarillo for dry hopping. I plan on leaving it in primary for another week and 1/2 and then bottle.

I might bump up the temp tomorrow (although it might affect the dry hopping).

Thanks

Be willing to bet you will get a couple more points out of it.. it was 11 days when u took your 1st gravity? Should b around 15 now? I think. How's it looking now?

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town so I didn't raise the temp. It cleared so fast I probably would have had to jostle the yeast up again. I will check the gravity later this week and give you an update though i doubt it has changed much.

Latest posts

Back