Question about diastatic power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Brewing my first beer with adjuncts this weekend. Grain bill is 6 lbs pale malt, 2lbs flaked corn, and 1 lb minute rice. I normally use Maris Otter, but bought a new base malt (Gambrinus Pale 2-Row) last week (on sale!). I found out the diastatic power of this malt is only 50, compared with M.O. at 140. Do you think my base malt has enough DP to convert this grain bill? Should I mash longer?

Thanks!:rockin:
EDIT::: It's only 2 lbs of corn not 4!

Since your ratio is 2:1, you should be fine. But, I'd plan a longer mash or get some iodine for testing.

As suggested, monitor conversion using the iodine test. You might test the early mash and a few times as it progresses so you can see the conversion (blue/black to only iodine red).

I am curious, what is the color on that base malt from Gambrinus?? If it is pale ale malt it should be in the 2 - 3 L range and the DP should be higher than 50 unless they really messed up the kilning of the malt.

Dr Malt

As suggested, monitor conversion using the iodine test. You might test the early mash and a few times as it progresses so you can see the conversion (blue/black to only iodine red).

I am curious, what is the color on that base malt from Gambrinus?? If it is pale ale malt it should be in the 2 - 3 L range and the DP should be higher than 50 unless they really messed up the kilning of the malt.

Dr Malt

The malt analysis, as minimal as it is, is located here
http://www.specialtymalts.com/gambrinus/malt_analysis.html

They list the color as 1.8 to 2.8.

As for the diastatic power, the malt analysis for the organic 2-row pale malt (same as my malt, only not organic) lists a column called D.P. I have to assume this is the diastatic power and it is listed as a minimum of 50.

With a color of 1.8 - 2.8 and it being Harrington, thre DP has to be in the range of 110 - 145. Thr information they have posted in your reference is just minimums and the malting company is playing it safe at that level. I don't think you will see any problems with conversion, but to be safe, do iodine testing to be sure you have converted in about an hour.

Dr Malt

With a color of 1.8 - 2.8 and it being Harrington, thre DP has to be in the range of 110 - 145. Thr information they have posted in your reference is just minimums and the malting company is playing it safe at that level. I don't think you will see any problems with conversion, but to be safe, do iodine testing to be sure you have converted in about an hour.

Dr Malt

Thanks Dr. Malt! Great information!:mug:

Back