Black gunk on element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
So I just brewed the first batch on my new 120v system (uses 2x 1500w elements). The elements had a thin black layer caked on. Some scrubbed off, rest flaked off later once dry. I didnt smell any scorching at all, but I didn't taste it either.

Searching pulled up a couple threads on many people getting the black layer every brew, and as long as they clean it's never scorched. Just worrying now. Is that indeed common? My old 240v rig would get a white film, never saw black. Have not experienced scorching before, hope this isn't it.

Pulled a sample and there was no hint of smokey/burnt flavors at all. It is just starting to ferment though, so I guess there's a chance after the yeast and gravity drop it could shine through, but I'm not worried anymore. I'll just make sure to clean the elements very well inbetween batches.

I think if it was burnt it would be present now too.

Its was tough to tell for me until the sweetness was gone after fermentation.. I could taste that something was off but it was terrible when it was done fermenting.
as far as I know a brown buildup is ok and normal but black would indicate scorching to the element ..
I use only ULWD elements now so no issues.

You did not use hopshots in this batch did ya? That stuff is evil if it gets on an element that is turned on..It sucks to have to clean off the pot as well. Its like a sticky tar..I have stopped using hopshots due to how bad it is to work with.
:-(
If no hopshots were used, it sounds like a scorching. Have not experienced it yet on my setup not my hotrod, but I control my element temps in the BK to try to minimize any scorching.

did you soak your elements in starsan to remove the zinc coating before you used them for the first time? If you didnt then what could have happened is the acidity of the beer just stripped some of the zinc coating and left the elements black.

did you soak your elements in starsan to remove the zinc coating before you used them for the first time? If you didnt then what could have happened is the acidity of the beer just stripped some of the zinc coating and left the elements black.

This is interesting..I honestly can say I did not do this star san element soak before I used the elements on either my current e-setup nor my hotrod..Never had this happen though.

Check out Post #11 in this thread

If you got an element with zinc coating and copper under that.. anything acidic will eat away at the zinc coating and leave a black gunk on it. I soaked mine in star san like this guy and then scrubbed them down to the copper with a scour pad. I dont think its a big deal since zinc wont hurt you.. but since im making beer and its acidic i figured all that zinc would end up in my first beer so i wanted to get rid of it.

I do believe it's partly the zinc coming off. I guess I'll fill the kettle with some starsan and let it soak overnight. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok, an oxi soak and everything game clean. I'll be doing a long boil of 60/40 pils and wheat next week, so I'll report back if there's any issues. I think now it was just all that coating gunkin' up and flaking off.

GTcP9mR.jpg

I have brewed w/ 120v elements for years. My only suggestion would be to stir well a few times as you heat from mash to boil. I think it best to try and keep the trub suspended as much as possible pre-boil rather than let it lay down near the elements. I have only scorched once in many, many brews, I paused my session after mash / pre boil and I have a hunch everything settled in the kettle and scorched.....a ten gallon dumper :)

I considered it a fluke occurrence and still use the HD 120v elements fwiw.

I have brewed w/ 120v elements for years. My only suggestion would be to stir well a few times as you heat from mash to boil. I think it best to try and keep the trub suspended as much as possible pre-boil rather than let it lay down near the elements. I have only scorched once in many, many brews, I paused my session after mash / pre boil and I have a hunch everything settled in the kettle and scorched.....a ten gallon dumper :)

I considered it a fluke occurrence and still use the HD 120v elements fwiw.

Good to hear. I'll just keep the pumps recirculating.

i used the same elements for years - until i just switched to 240v. but they worked out wonderfully...
i had no issues with scorching, that black stuff is on mine as well.

Its was tough to tell for me until the sweetness was gone after fermentation.. I could taste that something was off but it was terrible when it was done fermenting.
as far as I know a brown buildup is ok and normal but black would indicate scorching to the element ..
I use only ULWD elements now so no issues.

I had the same problem with a mwd 1500w coil. Tasted fine going into fermenter but horrible when I kegged. Working on a 240v 5500w ulwd system now so I hope it is better.

I had the same problem with a mwd 1500w coil. Tasted fine going into fermenter but horrible when I kegged. Working on a 240v 5500w ulwd system now so I hope it is better.

Same here... I switched to HERMS and wished I would have started there instead.

Back