Do Yeast Starters Ever Hurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I used my first yeast starter this week on an IPA with an OG of 1.070. It was a success and fermentation started quicker and more vigorously than normal. Anyways, I know yeast starters are typically recommended for beers with an OG over 1.060. I was just wondering if it would hurt to use them on every beer? Or is there a danger of over pitching with some of the lighter beers?

Use Mr Malty's calculator(Google it) to determine how much you need to pitch based on a predicted OG. I dont think you can really harm anything by doing a simple 1L starter for every beer, bigger beers you may need to do more.

Making a starter for use of liquid yeast strains is always recommended regardless of the gravity.

It is possible to screw up a starter and have it hurt the brew. eg not sanitizing well and pitching infected slurry. Making way to big of a starter and significantly overpitching. Making a small starter of dry yeast.

If you are using a calculator and have good sanitation practices, a starter is pretty much always a good idea for liquid yeast.

Not to hijack this thread, but if you are using a Wyeast Liquid Pack, is it still a requirement to use a starter? What is the ratio that is needed? I am using a Wyeast pack for the Pumpkin Ale and the OG of it is right around 1.060.

Thanks!

itsernst said:
Not to hijack this thread, but if you are using a Wyeast Liquid Pack, is it still a requirement to use a starter? What is the ratio that is needed? I am using a Wyeast pack for the Pumpkin Ale and the OG of it is right around 1.060.

Thanks!

Www.yeastcalc.com
Go to this site, plug in the numbers for your beer and date on pack and it will calculate the size of the starter required:)

It is possible to screw up a starter and have it hurt the brew. eg not sanitizing well and pitching infected slurry. Making way to big of a starter and significantly overpitching. Making a small starter of dry yeast.

If you are using a calculator and have good sanitation practices, a starter is pretty much always a good idea for liquid yeast.

Yes on infections, your starter is a mini beer...treat it as such and sanitize everything like you would a normal brew.

Latest posts

Back