Short but rapid fermentation with Pacman yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
Used this for the first time on an India Brown Ale clone and I had active bubbling within 8hrs of pitching (no starter). It was going crazy for 48 hrs and then the next morning nothing, not one bubble in 2-3mins of watching.

Is this typical behavior of this yeast?

I've heard that Pacman is a beast, but it still needs to hang out for a few weeks to clean up and settle out properly. Don't worry about the bubbling airlock, and forget about it for another two or three weeks.

Used this for the first time on an India Brown Ale clone and I had active bubbling within 8hrs of pitching (no starter). It was going crazy for 48 hrs and then the next morning nothing, not one bubble in 2-3mins of watching.

Is this typical behavior of this yeast?

I use Pacman often. It is a furious fermenter, getting the job done quickly. It is rather neutral in character, making it an all around workhourse for the brewhouse. If fermented on the low side, it is very clean for an ale yeast, producing low amounts of fusils. I think you will like it. It attenuates well but does not floculate well, so it will take a while to clear up.

Thanks, I figured as such. I guess I'm just used to 1056 giving me a nice 4-5 day bubbler.

If you haven't taken a gravity reading then you don't know that it's stopped or even slowed down. Whip out the hydrometer or refractometer and report back, or just let it sit for the prescribed time and drink a home brew in the mean time.

Back