Honey bunches of oats recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
I have some wheat malt I'd like to use and thought this would be a nice options. Any thoughts?

American Wheat Ale

Grain bill:
4.0 lb Wheat
4.0 lb Pilsner
1.0 lb Honey Malt
0.5 lb Rolled Oats
0.5 lb Honey

Hops
.5oz Magnum 75 minutes
1oz Cascade 5 minutes

Yeast
US-05

Mash at 152
90 minute boil

3 weeks in primary

I haven't done many Wheats but isn't that a really high ratio of Wheat malt? And, is it malted? Rolled?

I haven't done many Wheats but isn't that a really high ratio of Wheat malt? And, is it malted? Rolled?

Not really. And he says it's wheat malt.

To the OP, do you want it to actually taste like the cereal? Or is it just a name?

Throw some almond extract in there and that would be the best! That is a classic cereal that I've ate a lot in the past. Now we do nutriblasts with veggies and fruits. I miss honey bunches of oats!

I love the smell of honey malt in the mash tun. Just wished the smell would make it to the finished beer. I used a half pound in a 5gal batch a couple time and could not detect the smell or a honey taste it in the beer. Maybe a full pound along with some real stuff will work better.

This AWA seems like a great recipe to add some fruit to, even though that is not my personal thing (I know others around me that would like that). Any ideas on what, how much, and when to add? I was thinking cherries or maybe strawberries.

Back