Best Porter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkingStickMan

Reaction score
Anybody really like a certain porter extract kit? How about ones that aren't so good? My next batch is going to be a coffee porter (gonna add the coffee myself), so I'm looking for a solid, well-rounded porter as a base. Thanks for the help! Peace.

John

If you're talking straight up out of a can that I don't know. You could go with a simple recipe and ask for some ideas. There's some different directions you can go such as dark, dry and roasty or a little lighter, nuttier and sweeter. Guess it might all depend if you like your joe black or loaded down till the spoon stands on it's own.

I've got a Brewer's Best Robust Porter in a carboy that will be bottled next week. It's been in primary for 3 1/2 weeks now and I can't wait to try it. I also have a Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter that I'll brew next week. I hear it's supposed to be pretty tasty:D
Whatever you decide let us know and keep us posted:mug:

I had a brewers best robust porter as well and was extremely pleased with it, seemed a little bubbly for my tastes, but i do prefer less carbonated dark beers

I've made two batches of St.Paul Porter and I've really enjoyed them. Some chocolate/coffee notes up front, then the hops finish up the rear of the flavor. Short drinkable time too compared to others. I get them from Northern Brewer:rockin:

I want to do the Fullers London Porter clone from Austion Homebrew very soon.
I think its the best Porter out there!

I've got a Smoked Porter kit from Folsom Brewmeister. It's a solid kit with a nice smoky flavor, but my tasters wish it could be a bit more porter-y. It's a bit light in porter flavors, and I think it'd be better if it was more robust.

I had a really good batch come out with the AHS London Porter. Hints of chocolate and cocoa were present, solid. I also recently made the Brewer's Best Robust Porter kit as well, which I thought was a little more straightforward (agreed a little bubbly).

I have purchased several of the Brewers Best Robust Porters and found them to be great tasteing beers. I am thinking of a Baltic Porter next.

Not sure if you have decided yet but I would really recommend the Northern Brewer St Paul Porter
It is without a doubt my favorite home brew to date. It has good roasted and chocolaty flavors. I have a couple kits that I wouldn't buy again, but I would buy the St Paul Porter again in a heartbeat.

Back