Green grolsch bottles of homebrew=skunky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
So I did a search on this topic, but I did not see many people discussing actually using the green Grolsch bottles for homebrewing, but rather how skunky the store bought green bottles can be...

My friend gave me some green Grolsch bottles and I'm wondering if they are worth using. I hate skunky beer and have never had a beer from a green bottle that I've liked, except for dark beers.

Does this same problem occur with homebrews? Most of my brews are fairly dark, but not all. I keep them in boxes in the closet or under a desk until they go into the fridge. Don't know if I want to risk using the grolsch bottles, unless it's a really dark beer, if there's a chance they will turn to skunk.

Anyone have any experience with these (especially someone who HATES skunky beer)? Thanks!

veggiess said:
Does this same problem occur with homebrews? Most of my brews are fairly dark, but not all. I keep them in boxes in the closet or under a desk until they go into the fridge. Don't know if I want to risk using the grolsch bottles, unless it's a really dark beer, if there's a chance they will turn to skunk!

They will only skunk if the bottles get lightstruck. It's the color of the bottle that matters, and it's exposure to certain types of light. If you keep them in boxes, in the closet, under the desk, behind a curtain before they go to the fridge you should be fine.:)

Try to keep them out of sun, blue light, ultravoilet and Flourescent light (sp?) which are the major culprits.

Use them. I have about 50 and havent had a problem. I store them in a closet until they hit the fridge like you do. They sure do make bottling less of a chore.

- magno

PS be sure to check/replace the o-rings

I have well over 100 of them. Never had a problem.

As long as you keep therm out of direct sunlight your beer will be fine...unless it started out great, then it'll be great!;)

I keep them in milk crates in a storage room in the basement.

Thanks! Will they be okay in the fridge for awhile without becoming skunky from the fridge light?

I would only worry about UV light and yer fridge bulb will have 0 to very little. I say bottle it up and RDWHAHB

veggiess said:
Thanks! Will they be okay in the fridge for awhile without becoming skunky from the fridge light?

You know-- the little light turns off when you close the door.
:fro:

Lol kornkob!

You know, if your worried at ALL about them, I'd be happy to pay for the shipping of these skunk-bottles to my door!

It really is aweful to build a good stock of these. First you gotta find the blasted things and then you gotta drink the skunk-beer that's in em. Haven't had any luck so far at the garage sales, etc.

kornkob said:
You know-- the little light turns off when you close the door.
:fro:

HAHA. Yes, it does, but I live with a man who LOVES to stand there with the fridge door open wondering what the heck is in it that wasn't an hour earlier...

I'm sure none of you guys do that, though! ;)

Back