sw michigan utopia brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there was no blowoff but I've only ever had it happen once with my beers. The krausen has nearly fallen and an airlock has been fit. I'll check gravity when I return from TN and proceed from there. Got a few ideas. Anyone have experience with amalayse? Beano? Probably try some champagne yeast first.

Definately going to go more tried and true when it stalls before going more extreme. Talk nice to it? Massage you say? Wish I could but it'll be another week before I lay eyes on her again. Hmmmm.... Wonder if SWMBO would mind holding the phone up to the carboy and rubbing it for me?

krausen dropped on the 1st rinse batch. racked onto 1/2oz of amarillo and 1/2oz soriachi ace. sg was at 1.018-19. smelled/tasted very good. 2wks on the hops and i'll keg it then cpf it.

Haven't looked at mine in two weeks either:p. I'll see her tomorrow night. Taste notes from the small beers will be appreciated

Gave the carboy a good long swirl last night and the yeast thanked me with a nice fart. I smelled it, and it was good..... I was thinking about taking a gravity reading but I think I'll wait and let the WLP099 keep working. I sniffed the airlock and it smells like beer so all is well. BTW, it's at 73F now. The trub cake is massive, probably about the bottom 1/4 of the carboy. I'm taking a hiatus from brewing so all I have to do now is manage this beer. Well, manage it and do home improvements until SWMBO is happy. Shouldn't take too long:p

I kegged up mine last night. Not anywhere near as dark as I was trying for. Guess that's what I get for not crushing the Carafa 3.
I almost did not keg it up. The hydo sample did not taste all that good. BUt I figure I may as well give it a go and worst case I dump it next week.

I kegged up mine last night. Not anywhere near as dark as I was trying for. Guess that's what I get for not crushing the Carafa 3.
I almost did not keg it up. The hydo sample did not taste all that good. BUt I figure I may as well give it a go and worst case I dump it next week.

Right...

Someone please tell me he's joking!

PTN

No really it was not good. Not knowing what the runnings were going to even be like I just kind of ran with it. Added 3 pounds of DME to it for an og of 1.077 and hopped the crap out of it. Finished at 1.012. The sample really did not have a lot of hops in the nose but the bitterness was there. I picked up a bit of astringency and maybe a bit of band aid. I'll let it carb and try it next week. If it's not good I'll dump it. Life's to short to drink crappy beer. Besides I have other beer that I can put in that keg. I'm only out hops and yeast.

hey paul this isn't a utopia he's gonna dump....it's the 3rd runnings from the mash that he dumped 10+oz's of homegrown old hops in that hes refering to. it's what he gets for treating his hops the way he did.

Three beers were created from our 57lb mash.

First runnings=Utopias. That beer is sitting on my bar in primary, listening to "sounds of the rainforest" while being fanned gently with a palm leaf by the mail-order bride I ordered it from the former Soviet Union.

Second runnings=Some concoction Erik pranced around whilst boiling, sprinkling hops in like what, three times?

Third runnings=The beer in question. FSR402 steeped some Carafa, added DME, and hopped it like a beer is supposed to be hopped. I guess astringency is a possibilty here but I take no responsibilty for the adhesive strips he may have added after leaving my property.

Three beers were created from our 57lb mash.

First runnings=Utopias. That beer is sitting on my bar in primary, listening to "sounds of the rainforest" while being fanned gently with a palm leaf by the mail-order bride I ordered it from the former Soviet Union.

Second runnings=Some concoction Erik pranced around whilst boiling, sprinkling hops in like what, three times?

Third runnings=The beer in question. FSR402 steeped some Carafa, added DME, and hopped it like a beer is supposed to be hopped. I guess astringency is a possibilty here but I take no responsibilty for the adhesive strips he may have added after leaving my property.

I think you forgot Eric napping too.

1oz amarillo 60min
1/2oz amarillo 45min
1/2oz soriachi ace 30min
1/2oz soriachi ace 15min
1/2oz amarillo flameout
1/2oz soriachi ace flameout

1/2 amarillo dry hop
1/2 soriachi ace dryhop

little more than 3 times boneheads

and leave off my napping

1oz amarillo 60min
1/2oz amarillo 45min
1/2oz soriachi ace 30min
1/2oz soriachi ace 15min
1/2oz amarillo flameout
1/2oz soriachi ace flameout

1/2 amarillo dry hop
1/2 soriachi ace dryhop

little more than 3 times boneheads

and leave off my napping

So that's your argument for how HEAVILY you hopped your 1.080+ OG beer?

Really?

OK, it's also my argument for the "prancing around sprinkling in hops" comment. Surely the nap gave you energy. Didn't see you sneak a Red Bull for those wings:mug:.

The mob will decide.........

Ok so I took a growler of this to my club meeting last night. Several people picked up the smoked malt. I had forgot it was even in there. They named the beer hop water. This thing is so out of balance it's not even funny. It's like drinking 8%abv hop tea with some smoke.

I'm suprised and pleased that the smoke came through. It was such a small percentage of the grist. Wonder if that's where you got the phenolic character from when you kegged it. Smoky, phenolic IPA doesn't sound that appealing. Is it drinkable?

I thought it was pretty drinkable, and I didn't pick up any phenolics, smokiness yes. In fact I thought it was a smaller beer. I was surprised to learn the OG was somewhere in the 70's.

Back