Blindly drilling hole in fridge for temp probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I scored a cheap good fridge that I want to turn into my ferm. fridge. It appears to be an old Westinghouse Frost Free. I haven't been able to locate an diagrams on this fridge and I don't know where not to drill. Just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb or way to best guestimate a good place to drill in a fridge. The compressor is located at the bottom center of the fridge if that helps.

This is very similar to mine:
http://www.blueribbonappliances.com.au/photos/FridgesFreezers/412L-Frost-Free-fridge.jpg

depending on how long your cord is, you could run it through the icemaker hole and down through the vents to the fridge section. You could also just drill through the door as there wont be any coils there.

It won't look as nice but it sure will be nice and easy to drill through the door so that's what I'm going to do.

if you plan on mounting your display on the fridge, you can put it over the hole and it looks plenty pretty

its what I did with mine
4286253194_d77e0ac9dc.jpg

Take some cornstarch and mix it with water to get a slurry, then wipe the slurry on the fridge around the area you want to drill. The parts that dry out first are near the condenser lines. The heat causes the water to evaporate faster and the corn starch just makes it easier to see.

Oh... the compressor needs to be running for this to work.

Thanks for the advice guys, i ended up just putting it through the door. Took less than 2mins and everything is up and running. Can't wait to start fermenting under controlled conditions. My house (built in the 20's) has a temp swing of 10 degrees on hot summer days.

Back