Coffee Vanilla Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o4_srt

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm planning on making a coffee vanilla brown tomorrow morning, and need some input

Batch Size: .75g (little more than a 6 pack)

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.017
Estimated SRM: 17.5
Bitterness: 26.8 IBU's

0.34 pale malt (2 row US)
1.01 lb maris otter
0.15 lb Crystal 60
0.15 lb flaked oats
0.08 lb victory malt
0.04 lb chocolate malt

0.12 oz williamette @ 60 min
0.12 oz williamette @ 15 min

Yeast will be harvested from a nut brown I made last week that I plan on racking to secondary tomorrow.

My confusion lies in the flavoring ingredients: vanilla and coffee.

I just ordered 3 tonga beans from beanilla. The plan is to throw the vanilla (cut and scraped) into secondary, but i'm not sure how much to use. I really enjoy vanilla, probably my favorite flavor, so I'd like a rather prominent vanilla taste. BUT on the other hand, I'd also like to taste a touch of coffee.

I was planning on cold brewing the coffee, adding to secondary as well. And again, I'm not sure how much to go with.

Again, i'd like a prominent vanilla taste, with the coffee noticeable as well, but I still want it to taste like beer, not like vanilla flavored coffee.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You won't need much of each. I use 1 vanilla bean for 5 gallon batches when I want subtle and 2 when I want a distinguished flavor. I'd suggest 1/2 of a vanilla bean.

Same thing with coffee. Regardless of how much other stuff you add, you'll ALWAYS taste the coffee. It's a very strong flavor. 1/4cup should do it.

Back