Middle Tennessee Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am willing to host a group brew day after everybody picks-up the grain. I think it would be fun for some of us to get together and use some of the cheap grain. Anybody in? I am just north of Nashville.
I am all for that!

Does anybody want to try to do a group buy on Barley Crushers? We could look to get a deal on a Barley Crusher by buying several of them.

Man if I keep this up I will not be able to retire but I will have beer... and I may could do some hops.

couldn't you guys pick up the grain at the shipping hub over by the airport if someone has a truck and trailer.

here is an idea for a mill.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U5NZ4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

all you need to do is add $5.05 to get free shipping and its super quick too.
good deal getting the group buy together I wish I could have helped but I am broke and I don't need grain at the moment. But that corona mill is a deal, just read up on the ugly junk thread and see how to go about with the mounting and mods that need to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will finish up the spread sheet tonight and hopefully I will be able to get the spreadsheet over to Wild West tomorrow. I will e-mail the barley crusher folks to see what kind of deal we can get.

Can those that wanted in on the Wheat split please let me know, my spreadsheet was closed out by my 4 year-old today without my saving those in the split.

An e-mail was sent to the Barley Crusher folks last night. I will post was they say when they take the time to e-mail me back.

I need to talk with 1234, but I believe the hops are out. They can't put one more ounce on a 42 bag palette. They can ship within 48 hours of order placement and it's only a one day ship! So once everything is finalized, this will happen quick.

Preliminary calculations put us at around $32-$33 per bag shipped!! Now, that's an average, 2row is $26 a bag and pale choc is $40 without shipping. Still amazingly cheap, i'm stoked and jacked!! I just need to go over everything with 1234 one more time, and I can e-mail for an EXACT qoute, I'm not trusting myself with the calculations.

Disclaimer: all numbers are subject to change at a moments notice. These are just the opinions of the peanut gallery and are not factual.:)
_

Whoever ordered the Great Western pale malt (2 bags) and 2row (1bag) be advised it's a little more expensive and you only get 50lbs instead of 55lbs. I need to know if this is going to be a problem. Everyone else is getting the canadian malting 2 row and pale.

I need to know soon as the order is being double checked and will be submitted this afternoon.

Edit: All taken care of.
_

:off:

Is anyone going to this? http://eastnashvillebeerfest.com/info.php

I have my tickets, we will be staying in Nashville Friday and Saturday night. Whoever wants to show themselves, I will definitely be at the Saucer twice that weekend.

_

I've got to get my tix, but regardless I'll will probably make it to the Saucer...We can organize a little HBT-TN get together there if nothing else...

I am down for the get together at the Saucer. I will have to check to see what time my nephew is having his 4th birthday.

The order has been submitted for a quote.

I will get it either Friday or Monday. Then we can get exact figures and get this thing rolling.

Just a heads up for paypal options, I don't need to be stuck with 3% of $1200 in fees.:)

This is how it needs to be done, a quote from their site.

It's free to receive money from friends or family in the U.S. when they send the money from the PayPal website using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

If you receive a personal payment made from a debit card or credit card, the sender has the option to pay the fee or pass it on to you. If you don't want to pay the fee, you can choose not to accept the payment.

If the fee is passed to you, it is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive. For example, if you are sent $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30).

_

YAY! The quote is here. It wasn't supposed to be, but we won't complain. The prices are a touch higher than the catalog prices. But grain after all, is a commodity and is subject to price shifts, the quoted price is valid until 4/2/11.

As an example, 2 row was priced at $25.85, and now is $27.57, still an outstanding deal.
Shipping will be $2.30 per bag, unless we have to make special arrangements. But that price should hold up.

We just need to get pricing totals from everyone here, and a shipping address, and we're in business. As a courtesy, please post what you ordered so we know everything is EXACT. Thank you.

1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Crystal 60L
1 bag American 2 Row Pale
1 bag Maris Otter

Can I just bring you cash to pay for my part? I'm stoked to see your brew shed build in person and need to get a better grasp of the all-grain process. Also, I don't mind to make two trips, one to pay, and another to pick up so you don't have to ship it to me.

1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Crystal 60L
1 bag American 2 Row Pale
1 bag Maris Otte

Can I just bring you cash to pay for my part? I'm stoked to see your brew shed build in person and need to get a better grasp of the all-grain process. Also, I don't mind to make two trips, one to pay, and another to pick up so you don't have to ship it to me.

Check.

You expect me to trust you??;)
Ok. I can pick up your order since I will already be over there. I can keep it at my place until you pick it up.

_

1 bag of BD-MOPA and 1 bag of CM-PALE with a 1/4 vienna and 1/5 CaraMunich 60

What are the logistics of this or are we still in the hunt for a dock?

1 bag of BD-MOPA and 1 bag of CM-PALE with a 1/4 vienna and 1/5 CaraMunich 60

What are the logistics of this or are we still in the hunt for a dock?

Check.

The commercial address is being handled by 1234. I'm sure he would entertain any suggestions.

Tbesst doesn't really care much and what we have on the sheet will be good for him. He and I will share grain anyways.

Nope don't care much as long as I can make beer that taste good or will taste good after a few. Sorry been into the keg tonight it's not ready but its still good.

Total Bags Subtotal Shipping Total Buyer

4.8 $153.82 $11.04 $164.86 Bobby Jones
5.2 $161.10 $11.96 $173.06 Wild West
1.4 $58.54 $3.22 $61.76 J Malone
3 $93.18 $6.90 $100.08 Countryham
2.4 $82.81 $5.52 $88.33 Maffewl
5.4 $157.80 $12.42 $170.22 Bobby H.
3.4 $116.99 $7.82 $124.81 Volsfan5012
5.4 $165.63 $12.42 $178.05 Ranger
2.4 $80.93 $5.52 $86.45 Jon Callisi
3.6 $124.49 $8.28 $132.77 Tim Best
3 $95.38 $6.90 $102.28 Steve Ruffin
2 $55.69 $4.60 $60.29 bernerbrau
42 $1,346.36 $96.60 $1,442.96 Total

This order will not be placed until 2 things happen: (1) The logistics get solved & (2) Everybody is paid through paypal, unless you make arrangements with me or Wild West.

I still don't have an address where we are going to have this grain shipped too. I have an address I can use, but I can't be there to accept the grain. Does anybody have a place that they could use that can be used. We don't have to have a dock. If we have a couple of folks available they could help unload the truck and throw it into a couple of trucks.

I might have an commercial address but it's a high school. Does anyone live near highway 100 and Old Hickory. I can have the grains delivered but I could not store it there for more than a day or two. I have a Ford Ranger so I could probably take 1000lbs home but if someone with a truck lives close to there and we could disperse of the pallet that day I think it would work. I live in East Nashville and am willing to hold the grains until the buyers can pick it up.

I might have an commercial address but it's a high school. Does anyone live near highway 100 and Old Hickory. I can have the grains delivered but I could not store it there for more than a day or two. I have a Ford Ranger so I could probably take 1000lbs home but if someone with a truck lives close to there and we could disperse of the pallet that day I think it would work. I live in East Nashville and am willing to hold the grains until the buyers can pick it up.

If you accept the delivery you are going to have to verify what we ordered is on the pallet, meaning you have to be available pretty much all day. Depending on the time I can come by and help transport the grain. We are going to need a house to do the splits.

If you chose to participate in some of the splits please bring something to put the grains in. Remember that 1/5 of a 55lb is still 11lbs. :rockin:

I am available all day and have a forklift available. However I just don't have a vehicle to get #2000lbs of grain home.

I can come by and help out. Monday through Thursday I get off at 8:30. On Friday's I get off at 7:30, so I am fairly tied up.

let me check tomorrow with the shop guys and see what my options are. Like I said I in E. Nashville right off I-24 so we could meet at my house or the gas station on the exit and divid everything up on a Saturday.

let me check tomorrow with the shop guys and see what my options are. Like I said I in E. Nashville right off I-24 so we could meet at my house or the gas station on the exit and divid everything up on a Saturday.

The week of March 14th I will be working at East Park Community Center, 700 Woodland street, and I could see what I can do to help out.

Back