AG stout recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajf

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I shall be having a celebration in early April, and want to ensure that everybody has an adequate supply of good tasting liquid refreshment.

For as long as I can remember, I have only been brewing Pale Ales and Bitters, but there will be a number of people of Irish ancestry attending the celebration, and they have expressed a preference for stouts.

I have searched my library for recipes, but have not come up with anything that looks half way decent to me, and would appreciate any suggestions you guys and gals may have.

I was thinking
8 lbs English pale malt
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz flaked barley
8 oz dark crystal malt
4 oz patent black malt
Mash at 154 for 60 minutes
2 oz 4.0% Goldings (60 minutes)
2/3 oz 4.0% Goldings (20 minutes)
Pitch with Wyeast 1084 or 1028
Dry hop with 1/2 oz 5.0% Fuggles pellets in secondary.
3/4 cup priming sugar, bottle, and age for at least 4 weeks.

I know the Goldings isn't quite right, but that's all I have in whole hops.

So what do you think? Any changes, suggestions, or proven recipes would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-a.

goldings are perfect hops for a stout, imho. ;)

and your recipe looks like a good a stout to me

the last we did was
ten lbs pale malt
one lb roast barley
one lb chocolate malt

one oz goldings in the boil
one half at 45
one half at 30

i'd drop the flaked barley in the tun last, cause that stuff turns into a fluffy oatmeal consitency rather quick, and can clog yer tun up.

looks pretty good to me. i might not dry hop it, but that's the beauty of homebrew! do what ya like. :~)

Thanks for your responses.

I know what flaked barley can do to the mash, but the flavor and head retention makes it worth while. I shall take your advice and add it close to the top.

I don't quite know what I was thinking when I thought about dry hopping. Actually, I do. it was the pint of dry hopped ESB that I was supping:D
I'll leave the fuggles out and put them in an IPA where they should be more appreciated.

Thanks again

-a.

I just posted this recipe here. It is the most requested beer I brew. I brewed it twice as an extract with grains, then just brewed it for the first time as an All Grain last October.

It was very good before, but now, as an AG, it tastes so close to Guinness, I was shocked that I had actually brewed it myself!:eek: I feel like I'm bragging here - and I guess I am - but if I had a kegging system and nitrogen to push it, I could probably fool a lot of people!:)

Thanks Rhoobarb. (If my wife knew I was communicating with a rhoobarb, she would make me give up drinking:D )

I think I will add an extra 4 oz of the roast barley to give it a bit more bite, and try making a starter from a bottle of Guiness. At least it will refresh my memory about what stout should taste like. (I had my last stout in California in 1980 shortly after emigrating from England. It was excessively chilled, but they nuked it for a few seconds.)

Does anybody know if U.S. Guiness is pasturized?

-a.

yep, i'm almost 100% certain Guiness is. i'd go with White Labs liquid Irish Ale yeast, with a nice starter. that's you best bet IMO.

Yeah, you won't be able to get any yeast from a bottle here in the states!

I really recommend a starter using the White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. I use it on this and my Irish Red; it's all I'll use to brew any Irish-style ale.

Thanks guys,

Looks like I shall have to make an order for some White Labs, or find somebody who is going to England/Ireland.

Much appreciated.

-a.

Hi all
For those that are new to stout or find the burnt taste of guiness too much might like to try this recipe...
pale malt 2850gm (i use 2 row maris otter)
roast barley 400gm
chocholate malt 80gm
sugar(white) 600gm
target hops 40gm (full 90 min boil)
top fermenting yeast (i use gervin english ale)
this is a "murphy stout" replica and is real easy drink.
i mash at 66c and get a nice dry finnish in the mouth.
og 1040 final g 1008 ,4.3%abv for 25 ltr.
this is my stout and i love it, so i hope someone will find it usfull.

Claire

Brew chick said:
Hi all
For those that are new to stout or find the burnt taste of guiness too much might like to try this recipe...
pale malt 2850gm (i use 2 row maris otter)
roast barley 400gm
chocholate malt 80gm
sugar(white) 600gm
target hops 40gm (full 90 min boil)
top fermenting yeast (i use gervin english ale)
this is a "murphy stout" replica and is real easy drink.
i mash at 66c and get a nice dry finnish in the mouth.
og 1040 final g 1008 ,4.3%abv for 25 ltr.
this is my stout and i love it, so i hope someone will find it usfull.

Claire

sounds yummy claire! thanks for sharing the recipe. may give that one a try for St. Paddy's day :drunk:

Back